Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out last night I have a burned out headlamp. The driver side low beam is not working, but the high beam still works. Any suggestions on the best way to fix this. I haven't changed the headlamps before. Is it best to change just the bulb or change the entire lamp?

Thanks for the responses.

Garrett
1969 1750 GTV - One eyed troia.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Check fuse #9. That's the fuse second from the right in the large fusebox. Clean/replace as necessary. If that's OK, then the light is probably NG but it could also be the connector at the back of the light.
Unless a PO did a headlight conversion, the car originally came with sealed beams. Which means the entire lamp needs to be changed. If you are thinking about doing a headlight conversion though, now's the time.
To remove the light, first pull straight out on the trim ring to remove it. You will now see 5 small Phillipshead screws. The screws at 12 and either 3 or 9 o'clock are for aiming the lights. They need not be touched for headlight removal. The three other small screws secure the headlight retaining ring. Loosen these just enough so the retaining ring can be turned counter clockwise a few degrees. The ring will now clear the screwheads and can be removed. The lamp then just falls out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim,

I cleaned the #9 fuse holder and presto, lights work again. I took the chrome rings off to clean and look at the lights. The lights are all sealed beam units and look like they maybe original. Is that possible on a 34 year old car?

Now a new problem, I am having trouble reinstalling one of the fog light rings. It looks like when I took the ring off the entire mount moved back an inch or so. Has anyone seen this happen before? How can I get the unit back into position? Has it slipped out of alignment? Can a simple adjusting of the fog lamp correct this?

Thanks for any suggestions.

And I guess, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Garrett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts