Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the NE, and the weather is all over the place now. I usually have the car tucked in until April, but the weather has been mild the past few weeks, so Ive had it out for about an hour here and there. I dont push it at all, and take special care to not rev high until the engine is warm.

With the absence of salt, what is a safe minimum temp that I can use the car for just putzing around for an hour or so?

·
Registered
353 Posts
30 degrees no problem. Just don't operate the convertible top. The rear window will get brittle and you might crack it or pop a seam. I personally don't enjoy driving it much with the top up on gray cold days so I usually just keep it in hibernation until spring.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
30 degrees no problem. Just don't operate the convertible top. The rear window will get brittle and you might crack it or pop a seam. I personally don't enjoy driving it much with the top up on gray cold days so I usually just keep it in hibernation until spring.
Thank you for responding. I figured so, but wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I drive my S3 all winter as long as there is no snow or salt. Low temperature does not seem to bother it. As stated above, I would not try to raise or lower the top in the cold but otherwise, no problems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had mine out also, but really only because I was adding some gas stabilizer for the winter, topping up the tank and getting a last drive in. Though I'm swapping trannys over the winter so if there is no salt I'll be out testing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had mine out also, but really only because I was adding some gas stabilizer for the winter, topping up the tank and getting a last drive in. Though I'm swapping trannys over the winter so if there is no salt I'll be out testing it.
Funny you mention this because Ive been getting the "last drive" in for about a month now. I probably have run right through the gas stabilizer Ive added twice.

Took it out again this afternoon. I cant seem to get enough. I actually enjoy riding with the top up after May-October with the top not up once. I like hearing the engine, and I like also being able to appreciate the beautiful interior rather than focusing more on my surroundings.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Memories!

In 1966 the company I was with transferred me to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

My Daily Driver was a Giulia Spider, without a hard top.

Just some thin canvas between me and 35 below--often.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
During the harsh winter season here in Minnesota (November through March), I am fortunate to keep my Duetto in a heated garage that includes a wash bay with hot and cold water. I do my best to drive it every 3rd weekend or so during the winter, so long as the driving conditions are conducive (no snowstorms and relatively dry road surfaces). I have a 50-60 mile loop along rural roads west of Minneapolis to properly exercise the Spider, top off the tank + Stabil, and return to the garage for a complete wash and dry, top to bottom. I find both the drive in the country and the washing up afterwards to be very therapeutic. I believe the Duetto feels the same way, as she hasn't leaked a drop of oil in the past few years. In my opinion, there's nothing better for seals, gaskets, carburetors, ignition systems and tires than regular exercise. I enjoy driving with the top down, so I do so unless the ˚F temps are in the single digits (I dress in warm layers and keep the heat at the max). If I do put the top up or down, I am careful to do so indoors, in a warm environment to avoid a cracked rear window. The anticipation of another drive in the country, keeping the revs up in that sweet 1600, helps me get through the winter. Nothing better.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Winter driving

I sold my MG TD 2 years ago. I used to drive that every few weeks in the winter even though it had no glass or heater. When I decided to get a relatively modern Alfa, the luxury of windows and heat was a big plus. I drive my car in the coldest weather...even in the teens, and it's fine. I'm sure that most of these cars were primarily all year drivers when new.
I do tend to lay my cars up for a few weeks in the winter, to catch up on maintainance. Soon that will be motor mounts, starter and brakes.
I'm with Daniel...I need to drive and to tinker with the Alfa in order to maintain my sanity (such as it is)!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree, temperature isn't relevant. Salt is. Now there's a new enemy...brine. Here it's spread on overpasses if there's the slightest chance of freezing temperatures. When they do salt it can be truly horrendous, lasting a month. Cars look like they've been dipped in flour.

Despite the salt problem, I try to get the car out and about to heat things up and keep the mice at bay when the roads are clean.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I drive my S3 in any weather except snow! It can be a bit chilly but I am built like a polar bear so it does not bother me as much as it might!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts