Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, on turkey day I drove my son's 91 164L rescue project "Verde" to his house and on Sunday he drove his Maser Spider away to his house, too.

Lenard I am losing body count rapidly - down to two engineless rolling chassis in driveway.

Imagine this I actually have two running 164s in the garage at same time, plus four 164 and two Milano Verde engines plus two 164 autoboxes in front of "Rosso".

Now if I can get some time to do something about those driveway queens.

I got new/used Mazda 6 Sport Wagon FEVER so I drove a 2007 Sport Sedan yesterday. They are giving $2500 rebate on last year 2007 sedans and $3250 off on Sport Wagons (discontinued for 2008).

How would one look in garage with 164? Wagon is sharp looking, sedan isn't to bad and 5-door hatch has some utility maybe as much as wagon but wagon looks the best. Hot rocket with 3.0L 24v 212 HP engine (chain driven cams) and 6-speed auto/manual box. It moves pretty well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can send you a 164 if you need to fill garage - :)
That garage has had too too too many non running vehicles in that right side it needs to stay just like it is for awhile. I am a tired puppy need to finish out the year with running rollers.

Besides how am I ever going to get that master bath remodel done if wrenching on 164s (this is the question I am asked weekly).

·
Registered
373 Posts

I understand. A friend of mine bought a Mazda Wagon and I told him it was a Alfa knockoff right down to the rims. He didn't believe me until I showed a brochure a friend got from Germany.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Driveway to empty now what do I do? ...
You keep up the great work until you truly have all 164s running like you want them, and then you take your favorite one on a long relaxing trip. Said trip would be planned based on the different parts of the country where alfisiti you have helped live. I am sure some would like to meet you in person and have you stay with them for a few days! :)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Steve,

Isn't the handling of the Mazda 6 Sportwagon a bit, well, comfort-oriented? More squishy than the Legacy GT for example? Or even a 3 series wagon? :eek:

Dave
Don't know haven't driven wagon yet just sedan as for those other "furrin" cars I don't think I will even compare for many reasons but main one being I don't like those brands. Mazda 6 built in Ford Mustang plant another reason and I like the looks better. Remember I bought a 164 new not a Saab 9000, etc.

This just in - my bride says no joy on Mazda 6 as she doesn't like Mazda nor car payments as much as I hate them too so I have to go with her wishes. She wants me to fix her another 164 w/AT (read non-Quik Silver chassis now goes to garage for winter project), sell my truck and use her Jeep as duty hauler. What a women!

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You keep up the great work until you truly have all 164s running like you want them, and then you take your favorite one on a long relaxing trip. Said trip would be planned based on the different parts of the country where alfisiti you have helped live. I am sure some would like to meet you in person and have you stay with them for a few days! :)

Best regards,
We are going to JAX, FL for holidays but may take the GC Jeep with cargo carrier on top as there will be four of us plus the dog. I have visits/lunch lined up with my old office mates and some good Alfisti friends, too.

Maybe I need to take my other rolling chassis and make my own sport wagon like Tom Zat did years ago.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Several months back, I made a trip to the Mazda dealer to look at a used 6 wagon, metallic silver, everything just the way I would want it. I had to walk away fast to come to my senses. Fortunately, the Mazda dealer is a good 20 minute drive in Cleveland, TN. (Our Mazda dealer went away for some unknown to me reason). Where it closer, I probably would have gone back to buy it. Thank goodness I am still car payment free and enjoying driving the Alfa and wrenching on the Brick. The Mazdas are the closest thing in the U.S. to an Alfa, only they are not sadly... a new Alfa. I think I would have always thought of it as a wannabe, if I had bought it. ;)
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went so far as getting some pre-approved loans today - one for 4.94% for new one and 5.44% for used one from my online bank. My home credit union gave me 6.10% on used one. Those monthly payments did startle me enough to listen to my bride talk some sense into me. I haven't had a car payment in over 8 years.

She even said she would rather I buy Myron's 95LS if he ever wants to sell it, since I have maintained it so much it is finally almost dependable. If I did that I guess I would have to pay him back all the money his insurance company (mine too) paid him and he paid me to fix it after his accident.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
OK, this always does it for me... Sitting in a waiting room waiting for some idiot (I know there not all idiots, truly) to mess something up on your car doing warranty work, coming home and fixing what the dealer mechanic didn't do to your satisfaction. I HATE that. ;) ... and the waiting in the waiting room watching TV... can't STAND that at all, I want to be the one turning the wrenches, not the idiot in the waiting room sipping VERY BAD coffee. :D Oh, and big fat payment books with every page a bill for $300-$400, that REALLY sucks. :eek: But Oh, wire welders, spare engines, trannies and auto tools from Germany, those are my favorite things to spend money on! One reason I sold the RAM was because it bored me, nothing to do to it but clean it, how boring. ;)
Charles

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
One other thing that keeps me hiped about running an old car, is Hemmings Sports & Exotic car magazine (not the best name to describe the contents of the rag, IMO). They always have Italians (older ones, this month, the '71 Lamborghini Muira SV!) in there and a feature on some old car that doesn't look like much at all but, gets driven regularly. They have been in the habit recently of featuring old beat up Volvos for those features and need to feature an Alfa, Fiat or Lancia but, they did feature an unrestored 300SL Mercedes recently, cool. ;) They always have a feature on a specialized resto shop from some hole in the wall place in the U.S., just need to showcase a shop soon that does Alfa/Lancia/Fiat work. Difatta Bros. advertises in it regularly too.
Charles

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
We drove a Mazda6 wagon before buying the Passat.
We just liked the solidity of the VW.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I know the feeling you guys have. I took a gamble on trading my Nissan pickup in on my Peugeot. Now its not an alfa, but it has very strong european breeding, and I hate to say it, is more fun then the 164 in the tight twisty bits. Even after spending a ton on it recently, I would not hesitate to do the same to my alfa. I am spoiled I tell you! I love my 164 for the power, the smoothness, and the comfort. I love my Pug for the smoothness, handling, and comfort (notice how I left out power!) Logic would say get a newer or new car, but you know, the 90's were the golden age of the european sedan in my book, and I would take in another 164 if I did not live in an apartment complex!

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Act my age guys! I tell my daughter that all the time. We are/were thinking of coming out of a 96 Grand Cherokee into a "Sport" wagon not a cross-over, not a turbo boxer GT.

I want some good grunt with comfort, style and some utility but if I can't go Italian to do it I have to look "American" if possible. I really would like a Series Two GC Jeep with 4.7L V8 with 2wd like they made starting in 2002. Don't like what Daimler did to make it a rounded box again in Series Three.

Wife wants a little more fuel economy that Jeep can give her since it will be her daily driver. This is why the Mazda 6 wagon caught my EYE. She wants something without a car payment and I have to agree with her.

Now this is nice looking wagon:
eBay Motors: Mazda : Mazda6 (item 270191402224 end time Dec-03-07 07:31:43 PST)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Steve,

The only Japanese make that's ever impressed me is Honda, though I did drive an SVX once and I have to admit that was weird and wonderful, and SO powerful, but (sorry Pavan) that was a bit of a one-off and you can't buy them new, so...

Honda, even in the most basic models, seem to really push the boat out with the engineering. Open the back lid on an old '88 Civic and you see great lumps intruding into the luggage space because the Honda engineers decided that lightweight multi-link strut suspension was required for this 1300cc 'shopping basket', rather than the twist-beam rear axle that everyone else, e.g. FIAT, were using...

I was driving a Civic Hybrid for six months this year (I even tried a Toyota Prius for a comparison). Honda are head and shoulders above the others for materials, quality, details. Great feel and handling. Even the styling is nice, probably not really as nice as an Alfa 159 but then I suppose you can't get those yet (and they're a lot more expensive for something that WILL be less reliable...)

So my nomination would be an Accord Euro sedan (a great looker), assuming that you want/need something bigger than the Civic Hybrid (a slow but quite sizeable car really). Yes I am assuming for a moment that your measurement of 'size' is more European than American :) Otherwise I guess they're all 'compact' cars ;)

-Alex

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
O, for the wife...a new(er) car is perfect. ;) You change the oil and send her on her merry way. That's how it is at my house, my wife loves her '05 Accord and I love pulling out the dipstick, putting in back in, tossing in some washer fluid and closing the hood. ;) And for our long trips too. My vote is still for the Mazda6 wagon, a good car for the money, IMHO. Now if you want something cheap (and a bit of a project), buy an old Volvo wagon and drop a small block Ford or Chevy into it... ;) Don't laugh they do this all the time! Converse Engineering: Home of the "Volv8"
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Steve,

Yes I am assuming for a moment that your measurement of 'size' is more European than American :) Otherwise I guess they're all 'compact' cars ;)

-Alex
I compared them side by side in my now almost empty driveway the Mazda 6 sedan to my 164 and they are a real close match. What amazes me is that the Japanese Mazda 6 is only Mazda made in a USA Mustang plant and the Ford Fusion which uses basically the same floor pan aa Mazda is made in Mexico. Go Figure! Guess the already proven US design went "south" to try and save Ford from further losses.

Which would be better for our balance of trade deficit buying a Japanese car made in USA or a American car made in another country?

Henry Ford was once quoted as saying something like. I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa. I wonder if Ford had closed the deal on Alfa some years back if I would be looking for an Alfa powered Ford or a Alfa made by Ford?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts