Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody know if our driveshafts are symmetrical? Here in the UK, we have availability of the CV joints on their own and from what I've found, it appears that some are showing the inner and outer joints as being the same part.. would this be right?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yes CVs are the same, Id be interested to know what you are paying.
Here they are about 100 Pounds, US$170

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've not had a chance to really investigate all the possible sources, but for aquick one, you can get them on Ebay as a pattern part for £35ish including delivery in the UK per joint, yes, it's nice living closer to Italy than you guys ;-)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Thanks for that ebay link, even with shipping that's some savings.
I don't know about 4 cylinder 75s but the Alfetta GTV four cylinder applications are smaller than the V6 applications.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats kinda what I was thinking, that it would be in line with the size difference of the guibos etc. I think I need to give my friend at the part shop a call and flick through some application guides

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Yeah, they are made by Lobro. A quick google showed hundreds of applications with some as low as US$19. so if you can get a cross reference you might be able to save a bundle. I dont have any apart right now, so I dont have a part number.
Let us know if you come across an app. that works for Alfa 75s

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The CV are the same but keep the shaft an the same side. They tend to snap when switched. The VW guys have a tone of info on this. I guess they get a bit of permanent twist in them. And if you try to untwist them they snap.
If I remember right the alfa use the normal 930(maybe 934) type that any buggy shop has.
but you need the right boots. The cone shaped type not the box shaped type.

Bad

Good

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
They're just CV shafts. Take them anywhere to get rebuilt with new boots for $80.00 US. That is, if we're talking abbout the same thing. Driveshafts are a different animal.

·
Richard Jemison
7,686 Posts
Half shafts

The 4 cyl uses smaller, lighter half-shafts and CV assemblies with a smaller attachment bolt circle. Significantly lighter than the V6 ones and I & customers use these instead of the V6 for racing applications. That mod requires changing the outer stub axle (Inner) to Alfetta type to match CV joints. Same with inner adaptor at transaxle. Plenty strong...

The V6 axles come in two different lengths because of change in design of the adaptor at the transaxle end.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
. . .The 4 cyl uses smaller, lighter half-shafts and CV assemblies with a smaller attachment bolt circle. Significantly lighter than the V6 ones and I & customers use these instead of the V6 for racing applications. That mod requires changing the outer stub axle (Inner) to Alfetta type to match CV joints. Same with inner adaptor at transaxle. Plenty strong...
. . .
Good information. Thanks.

What reason did the factory feel the need to beef these up then? Curious.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I did not know they had 2 sizes. but I bet they are still common part. I am guessing Type 2

the VW/buggy stuff goes Type 1, Type 2 then the 930.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts