Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a spec or close measurement of the clearance of the driveshaft and tailshaft?

My tailshaft bushing has collapsed and I want to wedge some rubber in there until I can replace it. I did use a piece of fuel hose, and the two were touching. I cut the hose length wise and it was OK, but it fell out. I got a bigger piece of rubber that doesn't fall out and is 1/4 inch thick and they don't touch, but vibrates when running. From here I can add some washers to the bushing mount on each side, or try different thickness rubber.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since there doesn't seem to be a spec around, could someone who is tinkering around with their Alfetta or GTV6 measure how much air space there is above the mounting shaft of the tailshaft bushing? It would help me know how big a piece of rubber to stuff in there.

Or if you can get your phone in there and snap a picture of it, that would help.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It’s not clear to me what it is in fact you are asking, so maybe it isn’t clear to others either.
So...speaking of photos...perhaps try posting one yourself?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't clear. I have drawn a quick sketch since I can't get out to the car at this moment. See the diagram on the left of the bushing by itself. The upper gap has collapsed since the rubber on the sides has deteriorated. I need to push in some rubber there to lift up the tail shaft.

On the right you can see the whole assembly. If I lift up the tail shaft too much, the top edge of the tail shaft can touch the drive shaft. Even with out actually touching the driveshaft, the driveshaft vibrates if it is too high.

So either measurement would help me adjust it.
20200329_001.jpg

Thanks,

·
Registered
149 Posts
Maybe there is vibration because the bushing is now effectively solid rubber because you stuffed a piece of rubber in the upper slot. Without the open slots, the bushing may no longer have the built-in give and vibration dampening it was designed with. You may have to live with some vibration until you can properly replace the bushing.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes sense. The gaps are there for a reason. I can live with the vibrations if I could be reasonably sure it is aligned correctly. My fear is that if it is out of alignment, I am putting strain on the donuts, shortening their life.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. When, in good shape, the mount bolt should be centered in the mount when it weighted. The ability to flex should not be discounted..fwiw

·
Registered
552 Posts
What you call a tailshaft is the bell housing, and the rubber bushing is the rear engine mount.
Don't worry about the drive shaft donuts, REPLACE the rear engine mount if it phucked!!

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know I've seen a spec for that distance, but I haven't been able to locate it in the manual. I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Correct me if I am wrong. When, in good shape, the mount bolt should be centered in the mount when it weighted.
I think this is an assumption. I was hoping to stay away from assumptions and find a figure.

The ability to flex should not be discounted
This is true, as in my original post I will replace with a new one when I can.

What you call a tailshaft is the bell housing, and the rubber bushing is the rear engine mount.
I do not believe that the bell housing designation applies to our cars as both the clutch and the transmission are in the back. It might have another name, but I don't think it's a bell housing.

REPLACE the rear engine mount if it phucked!!
See previous comments about my replacement plans.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tail housing I believe is the term. It doesn't include a shaft. The other term was stuck in my head for some reason.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The tail housing to driveshaft clearance is 7 mm +/- 1 mm per page 64 of my Autobooks manual.
best of luck
Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts