Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How loose can it be?

I had some vibrations from the center tunnel and went to inspect the giubo. It was fine but I noticed that the support bearing was resting on the bracket and could easily be moved. I suspect whatever rubber or bushing use to live there has rotted out. I took a quick search for a replacement "how to" and it looked like enough of a PITA that I'd rather make sure first.

69 Spider Jr.

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
Yup; you need a new center support; better get a new center support bearing while you're at it. Get at least one new slinger as well. The center support & bearing often have to be pressed off, & you will have to press against one of the slingers, which will often distort it. Also check both u-joints, & unless that flex disc is fairly new, I'd replace it as well. How 'bout that rear transmission mount?

If you can R&R the driveshaft but don't feel comfortable with the rest of the job, you can still save yourself a good bit of money by doing this yourself & having a shop replace the center support & bearing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your right, as far as I know almost all of this is original so its probably time to go through the whole driveshaft. I did replace the transmission mount about 5-6 years ago and that was fun. Had to do it twice after I discovered that my bolt was bigger than the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts