Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -
As long as I'm here on the bb, I wanted to ask this question concerning my driveshaft.
Put simply, I can grab the driveshaft and rotate it approximately half an inch in either direction and it's particularly noticeable pulling away from a start (clunk). I'm almost positive it's not the joints and therefore assuming it's the differential.
Is this a normal thing?
I think one of the PO's was particularly hard on the driveline; the transmission is crunchy and balky and this rotational play doesn't sound healthy.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Administrator
16,555 Posts
That is a lot of play. If it is in the drveshaft's joints you should be able to see it when you twist by hand. Check the Flex Coupling (aka Giubo), the u-joints and the slip yoke.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,994 Posts
There should be zero play in the u-joints and zero play in the differential pinion gear but there *is* play in the other differential gears. Half an inch rotation of the diff flange is pretty normal for the latter, so it sounds like you're fine. If the pinion is worn you'll usually hear it whining before you feel it.

Clunk on takeoff is very often the driveshaft smacking the body. It can be a sign of a worn center driveshaft bearing support, though some cars do it on hard takeoffs even with a brand new support (e.g., mine).

92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clunk

Thanks Tom -
I actually have a new support bearing in a box waiting for installation... I just couldn't imagine the drive shaft wagging that far off of center.
Guess it's time to git down and do 'er.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts