Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some "spirited" driving I killed the front guibo on the trusty Milano. I ordered up a new one and a new rear engine mount. Got everything removed (exhaust, front rear flange nuts/bolts, exhaust heat shield, center bearing carrier nuts, shifter loose from shift rod). I can't get the darn thing to budge.

I've read that you have to get the rear loose first. I found a few tips online. One mentioned tipping the transaxle (for a GTV6) but I can't lift the rear very far in the Milano. I removed the watts linkage and rear trans mount to attempt this. Tried lifting from the deDion and the rear bottom of the transaxle. Just won't tip far enough.

I think I will just remove the rear donut from the rear shaft and try to get that out. Notice rear has a few cracks...how critical is that to replace (I know, while I'm in there but these parts are $$$$).

Here's a pic:

Thanks...tried to search but nothing seemed to address this issue. :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
They mean lower the crossmember

Hi Peterbee

Yeah you're not understanding the phrase "...tip the transaxle..." what they mean is remove the six bolts that secure the transaxle cross member to the body, and then using a floor jack lower the entire deDion tube and transaxle as one big assembly.

You will need to do anyway to get the front guibo off.

I don't have time for a full post right now but PM me and I'll give you some more details.

Bye

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Milanoguy I figured out the six front bolts too after re-reading a few online resources. Still took a bit of maneuvering to get the darn thing out (figured out to drop transaxle a bit more and push the rear up and to the driver's side to slide the thing out). Phew :smile2:

Front guibo had a big chunk out of it.

Installation is the reverse of removal ha! First have to get the old rear engine mount out...I'll try to bite into the bushing shell with a hacksaw and then use a cold chisel to collapse it/force it out.

One quick question...what is the best way to get the cap off of the front bearing. Should I just try to pry it off with a large screwdriver? I don't want to mangle it up as I don't have a new one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the rear engine mount I received is symmetrical (equal length "arms" on both sides) but the mount in my car is offset so one arm is shorter than the other.

Called the parts supplier (DiFatta) and they indicated that the offset mounts are no longer available, and that I'd had to enlarge one of the bolt holes in the mount to compensate for the offset.

Does this sound right?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After further consideration I am just going to get some Loctite PL roofing sealant and fill the existing mount. I am too concerned with the alignment of the driveshaft to "guess" at getting things centered up correctly.

Wish the supplier had informed me of the need to modify this part, I wouldn't have purchased it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used roofing sealant to shore up the rear engine mount, and let it cure for a week. Driveshaft with new front guibo is back in, everything buttoned up. Wow a big difference in the feel, car feels so much more solid. Plus the bolt that connects the shift lever to the rod was very loose when I took things apart. I greased the bearing and tightened that bolt/nut up well and no more buzzy shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts