Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a 3-day tour in Northern Minnesota last week, I noticed a mild but definite vibration during acceleration through 1st and 2nd gears. At first I thought perhaps it was due to the extra weight of a fully loaded cab and trunk, but the vibration persisted upon my return home, unloaded.

I suspect that the vibration may be due to driveshaft bushings, bearings, supports, etc. on the brink of failure. I've driven the Spider approx. 53,000 mi in the past 11 years, and have never done any maintenance on the driveshaft, so a problem with the driveshaft on the horizon would not be surprising.

If a driveshaft overhaul is in my future, and assuming no need to replace major components, what parts and/or hardware should be replaced in a routine rebuild? I usually order parts from Classic Alfa, which has an extensive list of driveshaft parts in their catalog.

My 1967 Spider is stock (1600 cc engine, manual clutch).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
giubo, (use the NON heavy duty one!) ; center bearing, 2 universal joints and maybe a new bush in the front where the olive mates - theres also a little rubber disc that fits in there --

Get a snap-on used13 mm wrench, and grind the box end so that it fits on the nuts on the driveshaft.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
in addition to goats :
  • put the guibo with the iron strapping. Take it off, once it's mounted.
  • center support rubber (for bearing)
  • change all the nuts, even thhe screws

- before getting back on the car, balance the entire propshaft.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your feedback. I will have the Spider up on the lift soon for an oil change and an overall inspection, including the perishable rubber parts in the driveshaft assembly. In retrospect, the vibration I detected upon acceleration is not so bad. I believe (and hope) that it was just my overactive and slightly paranoid imagination at play. I will do a careful inspection soon; I'll post later if any soon-to-fail parts are detected.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Does your car have a grease fitting on the shaft? Was under mine and to my surprise, found the 1 and only grease fitting I've seen on the car there.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Mark the tubes/shafts (center punch) before you pull them apart so you can get them back together
the same way. To maintain balance. Finding someone to balance the assembly is like a female dog in heat..:giggle:

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
With the car on a lift you can feel the U-joints for excessive play. My experience is that they have to be pretty loose before they cause vibrations. A tight U-joint makes a lot of vibration. I would be wary of replacing parts that appear to be ok. I changed out the center support and bearing and nothing else a couple of weeks ago after I felt the distinctive low frequency vibration when accelerating at low speeds. There are so many "issues" with aftermarket parts these days that it is easy to create new problems when you install them.
My other advice is that cheap parts are more expensive in the long run.

Reactions: goats

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a good news update. An inspection of the Duetto driveshaft components (up on a lift yesterday for an oil change) revealed no extensive wear to the flex joint, all quite solid and in good working order. Since my first posting I have completed two additional foliage tours of MN: the first to the southeast/Mississippi Valley (600+ miles rt), the second up north to the Mississippi headwaters on Lake Itasca (700+ miles rt). Excellent performance, no undo vibrations, fabulous scenery, and what is almost certainly the last warm weather of the season. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Next on the agenda: preparation for winter storage. Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts