Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Has anyone ever had this issue with their Milanos?

When I brake (quickly and at speeds above 20mph), I often get this clunk like something is hitting the driveshaft. I am unable to visually see anything wrong. All 3 flex doughnuts are intact, and there is no vibration. I tried driving in reverse and then quickly braking, and it does not happen. It appears the forward motion is creating something to move, but I don't know what. This happens most of the time, so it is random, and does happen in gear and in neutral.

Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
You need trans mount, engine mounts and probably the rubber drive shaft donut. When you brake the old rubber bits allow the engine to tilt forward and up and the clunking is the Quibo (sp) complaining. Of course while you have the drive shaft out...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check your rear motor mount, see if the round section of the rubber that connects the bell housing to the body is worn out, also, as Aldo stated, the guibos, but the Killer is the Drive shaft support bearing located right below your shifter above the exhaust pipe between the latter and the body. If you grab the drive shaft and rock it, you should see play, or hopefully not. If yes, you have to replace this. It is not extremely difficult, but the drive shaft has to come apart and go back together EXACTLY as it is disassembled. Check it out for now and let us know, if you have to perform this job, we all can give you advice and guide you through it all.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Brain freeze, don't no why I called the third rear engine mount a trans mount?:eek:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Last time I did this some of the drive shaft parts were very hard to find. Hope things have changed for the better.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
also after the above stuff is checked.
check that the pins the hold the break pads are all there and inserted all the way.
check the mounts on the trans too. check the battery hold down. and for anything lose in the trunk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm at a loss. All 3 flex doughnuts good, motor and transaxle mounts good, center support intact, with very little play in the drive shaft. I can't see any damage on the drive shaft where it may be rubbing against something. Could it be an issue with the clutch or trans????

·
Premium Member
27,320 Posts
What about your 3 spherical centering bearings - one inside each flex joint any broken or popped off centering ball? Usually center or rear one the problem.

Front one 60521633, center and rear ones 60521636.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts