Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Driveshaft bolts

10K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  Nakagtv 
#1 ·
Hello Alfisti,
I had a clanking noise coming from the rear end of the car. It was happening while disengaging clutch on low speed. I checked under the car and found out it was a rear U-joint. Removed the driveshaft and replaced the U-joints. FYI U-joints from ebspares which I bought couple years ago were 24x63.3mm with 1.5mm thick circlips and would not fit. Centerline's 24x63.1mm with 1.25mm circlips (Made in Italy on them) worked on a first try. As I was getting ready to paint the driveshaft I noticed that the M8x25 bolts that came with the car were tap bolts, not shoulder bolts and only class 8.8 (SAE 8; Grade 5). Looks like new 8mm bolts are NLA from Alfa suppliers. Do you think these Class 10.9 bolts are ok to use if the shoulder length is correct or should I look for some used ones from Alfa?
$8.40 - M8 X 1.25 X 25 Metric Hex Bolt / Cap Screw 10.9 Qty (20) [MCS825CFZ109] : NutsandBolts.com
Thanks ahead for your help

Attachments

See less See more
#35 ·
Part numbers

Alfa bolt, part number 2100.20042 fits all 1750's plus certain 1300's and 1600's.
Part number # 2100.20218 fits all 2000's plus certain models of 1300's and 1600's.

Nut # 2120.20044 goes with bolt # 2100.20042
Nut # 115.09.01.168.00 goes with bolt # 2100.20218.

The same nuts are bolts are listed for both the center flange and the rear flange.

I would check with DiFatta Brothers and/or John Norman Alfa Parts for availability.

#37 ·
Alfa bolt, part number 2100.20042 fits all 1750's plus certain 1300's and 1600's.
Part number # 2100.20218 fits all 2000's plus certain models of 1300's and 1600's.

Nut # 2120.20044 goes with bolt # 2100.20042
Nut # 115.09.01.168.00 goes with bolt # 2100.20218.

The same nuts are bolts are listed for both the center flange and the rear flange.

I would check with DiFatta Brothers and/or John Norman Alfa Parts for availability.

Thanks for looking up those numbers.

I called both of them, nothing.. they don't have them. APE's sending me four bolts though.

Lady at Jon Norman told me to show these bolts to some European auto parts suppliers and see if they have something similar.
This might be a long shot, but does anyone recall using 13mm wrenches working on a driveshaft or a differential on any other cars? How about 5/16s? :grin2:

The 4F identifies the fastener manufacturer, in this case Fontana SA.
The part you marked as "B", with its 14 mm head, is a 750/101 era bolt, while the others are later. It matches the bolts on my 1960 Giulietta Spider.

I don't know if Alfa ever used Lobos in this location.

Joe
Good to know Joe, so we got one Giulietta's bolt. Do these have matching M8 nuts with 14mm heads?
Thing about Fontana SA group is that they owned majority of Italian and some non Italian fastener makers including Lobo FONTANA GRUPPO - Special Fasteners

#36 ·
The 4F identifies the fastener manufacturer, in this case Fontana SA.
The part you marked as "B", with its 14 mm head, is a 750/101 era bolt, while the others are later. It matches the bolts on my 1960 Giulietta Spider.

I don't know if Alfa ever used Lobos in this location.

Joe

#39 ·
What if one added a bracket, made out of bottom horizontal part of the center bearing support few inches behind of the original. Would this be enough to stop front shaft from dropping all the way down and causing a catastrophy?
That is no doubt the reason for the removable cross member under the front section. One ABB member came close to having his leg amputated when the Giubo let go.

#41 ·
Sorry, meant to say "front of the rear shaft dropping down".

Summit Racing, Jegs, etc all have generic driveshaft safety hoops for drag and other race cars. I'm sure something could be adapted or fabbed up. I just today saw a tiny little hoop on a TZ, barely bigger than the driveshaft, which has IRS so the driveshaft in theory doesn't move much.

Andrew

I'm aware of safety hoops, tunnel blankets etc. for racing and they all look kind of bulky, heavy duty pieces. Was thinking of something that looks like a stock item for a street car. Whole center support bracket with some reinforcement might work.
What do you mean by IRS?

#40 ·
Summit Racing, Jegs, etc all have generic driveshaft safety hoops for drag and other race cars. I'm sure something could be adapted or fabbed up. I just today saw a tiny little hoop on a TZ, barely bigger than the driveshaft, which has IRS so the driveshaft in theory doesn't move much.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.