Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
My bolts might be for the center flange.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Ed, if he doesn't I would like them if available! My 71 spider dream project is missing these bolts and the nuts that go with them. Do you have other parts that you salvaged? Here is my thread---
They are yours if you want them. I have a couple of other pieces from the 1750 driveshaft,
maybe some other parts that are mixed in with 2L stuff. PM me with what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Belmetric

This is my domestic "go-to" site for replacement metric bolts, nuts, and washers used in automotive applications:

https://www.belmetric.com/

They carry the hard to find "Belleville" and "Wave" washers that are used throughout the Alfas, as well as class 8.8 and 10.9 bolts in coarse, fine and extra fine threads.

Most of their hardware is available in Yellow or White Zinc plating, but they offer a lot of Stainless too.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Using the correct fastener in the correct way is a big subject. Carroll Smith wrote "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook".
"After months of preparation, practice and planning, the season's race championship can rely on just one fastener doing its job. If that fastener shears or loosens, the whole race can be lost—not to mention valuable machinery and perhaps even lives."
"Failure does not have to happen. If the persons responsible for the design, installation and maintenance of the equipment had done their job properly, it could have not happened. If the persons responsible for maintenance had read—and understood—this book, it probably would not have."
Carroll's previous books were
Prepare to Win
Tune to Win
Engineer to Win
Drive to win

He wanted to name the fasteners book Screw to Win but the publisher vetoed it. They are all worth reading.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
This is my domestic "go-to" site for replacement metric bolts, nuts, and washers used in automotive applications:

https://www.belmetric.com/

They carry the hard to find "Belleville" and "Wave" washers that are used throughout the Alfas, as well as class 8.8 and 10.9 bolts in coarse, fine and extra fine threads.

Most of their hardware is available in Yellow or White Zinc plating, but they offer a lot of Stainless too.
They do have great selection. I talked to them and many other specialty fastener places, went through bunch of catalogs and it seems like non of the major manufactures/suppliers have these bolts. Talking to them convinced me that proper cutting and threading of bolts is a good alternative, often done even in aeronautics.

Using the correct fastener in the correct way is a big subject. Carroll Smith wrote "Nuts, Bolts, Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook".

Carroll's previous books were
Prepare to Win
Tune to Win
Engineer to Win
Drive to win

He wanted to name the fasteners book Screw to Win but the publisher vetoed it. They are all worth reading.
Funny you mentioned this, few month ago started to read Drive to win and practicing a little bit. I will get that book, sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I got new M9 bolts & nylok nuts for my S3 prop shaft flanges from one of the UK suppliers (Classic Alfa or Alfaholics or Highwood Alfa - can't remember which one).

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Ed, if he doesn't I would like them if available! My 71 spider dream project is missing these bolts and the nuts that go with them. Do you have other parts that you salvaged? Here is my thread---http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/478889-my-dream-s2-spider.html
The 71 Spider uses 9 mm flange bolts. Be sure to get the right ones.

BTW - my original Duetto drive shaft did not use shoulder bolts. They were 8 mm.

Robert

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Hi Robert,
The 8 mm bolts came from a 1970 cam tail Spider, Euro spec, sold in Canada. I thought that the US 1750's had the same drive train.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Oops. You may be right. 1600's had 8 mm bolts, 2L had 9mm shoulder bolts. I don't actually know what was in the middle set - the 1750's.

Robert

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Your brain is probably a similar age to mine!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So I received some bolts from a member here and took their measurements with my cheap digital caliper. They are 4 different types. All of them have 4F marking (does anyone know what they stand for?) followed by: A-10.9; B-100; C-10K; D-10K. The 3rd pic is from Centerline's website of there 8mm 10.9 bolts for 750/101/105 cars which are "on backorder". Hmmm....

Here come some more questions:

Were the original bolts made by Lobo?
Were the original nuts looking like the taller ones on centerline's pic?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
The ones that I gave away were type C with nylock nuts.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Part numbers

Alfa bolt, part number 2100.20042 fits all 1750's plus certain 1300's and 1600's.
Part number # 2100.20218 fits all 2000's plus certain models of 1300's and 1600's.

Nut # 2120.20044 goes with bolt # 2100.20042
Nut # 115.09.01.168.00 goes with bolt # 2100.20218.

The same nuts are bolts are listed for both the center flange and the rear flange.

I would check with DiFatta Brothers and/or John Norman Alfa Parts for availability.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The 4F identifies the fastener manufacturer, in this case Fontana SA.
The part you marked as "B", with its 14 mm head, is a 750/101 era bolt, while the others are later. It matches the bolts on my 1960 Giulietta Spider.

I don't know if Alfa ever used Lobos in this location.

Joe

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Alfa bolt, part number 2100.20042 fits all 1750's plus certain 1300's and 1600's.
Part number # 2100.20218 fits all 2000's plus certain models of 1300's and 1600's.

Nut # 2120.20044 goes with bolt # 2100.20042
Nut # 115.09.01.168.00 goes with bolt # 2100.20218.

The same nuts are bolts are listed for both the center flange and the rear flange.

I would check with DiFatta Brothers and/or John Norman Alfa Parts for availability.

Thanks for looking up those numbers.

I called both of them, nothing.. they don't have them. APE's sending me four bolts though.

Lady at Jon Norman told me to show these bolts to some European auto parts suppliers and see if they have something similar.
This might be a long shot, but does anyone recall using 13mm wrenches working on a driveshaft or a differential on any other cars? How about 5/16s? :grin2:

The 4F identifies the fastener manufacturer, in this case Fontana SA.
The part you marked as "B", with its 14 mm head, is a 750/101 era bolt, while the others are later. It matches the bolts on my 1960 Giulietta Spider.

I don't know if Alfa ever used Lobos in this location.

Joe
Good to know Joe, so we got one Giulietta's bolt. Do these have matching M8 nuts with 14mm heads?
Thing about Fontana SA group is that they owned majority of Italian and some non Italian fastener makers including Lobo FONTANA GRUPPO - Special Fasteners

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
The probability of shearing the bolts may be low but the consequences could be serious. RISK = PROBABILITY * CONSEQUENCE
Nakagtv:

As Andrew points out, failures in this area are rare. But as alfaparticle points out, if your front flange did fail, allowing the shaft to whip, the result could be serious.
What if one added a bracket, made out of bottom horizontal part of the center bearing support few inches behind of the original. Would this be enough to stop front shaft from dropping all the way down and causing a catastrophy?

I know I'm busting *****, but everything else has been discussed at least twice on this board:smile2:

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
What if one added a bracket, made out of bottom horizontal part of the center bearing support few inches behind of the original. Would this be enough to stop front shaft from dropping all the way down and causing a catastrophy?
That is no doubt the reason for the removable cross member under the front section. One ABB member came close to having his leg amputated when the Giubo let go.

·
Premium Member
21,289 Posts
Summit Racing, Jegs, etc all have generic driveshaft safety hoops for drag and other race cars. I'm sure something could be adapted or fabbed up. I just today saw a tiny little hoop on a TZ, barely bigger than the driveshaft, which has IRS so the driveshaft in theory doesn't move much.

Andrew

21 - 40 of 41 Posts