Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only person who's having fun with the driveshaft and guibo olympics. Reading around suggests that they're probably the most common single opportunity with these cars (besides rust). Between versions, compatibility, parts availability and so on, there's enough joy that anyone can play.

A sticky thread could be a one-stop shop for people (especially newlies like me) who have driveshaft/guibo issues and questions. Even an extended archive search gives inconsistent results in important areas.
For instance:
Updating a sedan driveshaft requires a new clutch yoke (known), but may or may not require a different flywheel. I've found both answers in the archives.
Descriptions of the different versions of the Alfetta driveshafts. Better yet, pictures.
Can a Milano shaft be made to work? I've found both yes and no in the archives, and no information as to how.

If nothing else, a sticky could reduce the endless "driveline vibration help" requests from rookies like me.

I haven't gotten my vibration cured yet, and I got a new mystery. How did the clutch yoke on a "C" title '76 sedan get double-nutted?

Eamon Stanley

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Failing that,

Could someone tell me two things? Please?

1) When putting a later driveshaft into an early (76) sedan, do I have to change the crankshaft flywheel also? I know about the clutch yoke, and I've got a solution to the changed height on the center support bearing, but an archive search turns up both answers for the flywheel. It's a job I'd rather not do, let alone redo.

2) I know that there are people here who have put a Milano driveshaft into an early sedan. It's a sensible upgrade.
What's involved? Clutch yoke? Flywheel? Bellhousing? The archives are no help at all. And I wonder about the later version shaft with the pinch bolt.

Eamon

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
If the flywheel bolts are spaced the same as milano, then you need the front short splined shaft that bolts to flywheel, pinch clamp, maybe center support is slightly different?, of course the drive shaft, and the rear yoke. This is what I remember reading somewhere. early sedan is 4 banger and milano is 6, does bell housing even fit? Those are the parts, as far a fitment, I do not know.

you may be able to get away with the original flywheel by eliminating the pinch clamp ..lots of variables. Only helpful if you gather the parts and do it yourself or someone posts some more info....

No chance of using original driveshaft with new style Alfetta guibos?

·
Registered
579 Posts
My 75 has the original driveshaft with late donuts front and rear now. As the late donuts are thinner, spacers are needed (easy). I modified the donut's projections to work with the early driveshaft holes (where the dowel pins went)(not so easy). I modified the early clutch input yoke to accept the late donut projections (fairly easy). I modified the front donut to fit with the early engine flywheel center bushing (not so easy), but I could have modified the center bushing to work with the unmodified donut.
I don't know anything about the V6 driveshafts.
Disclaimer: I am a mechanical engineer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts