Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

'73 Spider 2000. I have been experiencing some excessive wear on the outside tread on driver's side front tire. This was present when I bought the car, but now after having replaced the old tires with CN36's the problem persists (I had mistakenly thought the previous owner just put on poor quality tires).

I went to take it for an alignment only to find out the idler arm and a balljoint are worn as well as the driver's side sitting about 1" lower. I'm replacing the balljoint and idler arm, but not sure about the lower ride height issue which is likely causing the premature tire wear. The springs look newish (yellow), as well as the shocks (red). A cursory inspection of the control arms has then looking to be in good shape (nothing seemingly bent). What could this be? The rubber spring seat? Some sort of spacer issue?

Before I do the balljoints id like to have all the parts I might need to correct the ride height issue too. Should I but new shallow pans, rubber seats with metal caps? All new springs and shocks?

I'd love some insight if anyone has a better guess than I.

·
Registered
7,887 Posts
I would suggest you are on the right track (npi) If the springs have been changed .. and they have... there are spacer options that can throw off the ride height and once installed I further suggest the PO said the hell with it because it all has to come apart again. I went back to stock springs on my '73 and istalled them with only the rubber pads and proper pan for each side. No problem

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
do you have the proper spring pan? there are 2 depths the short pan for the drivers side and the deeper one for the pass side. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts