Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it gave up today. Pulled on it, and nada. Outside latch still works, though. I saw several posts regarding fixing/modifying/replacing it, and it looks like fun.... Anyway, if you guys could point me to the "condensed" version of "how-to", I'd appreciate it. Funny thing is, I just made a bet a week ago that after replacing belts, and my car running so well, that I'd be good for at least 6 weeks without a repair.... Oh well, looks like I just lost a couple bucks! But I do love this car - it keeps me young and in shape! (lol)

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Alfa 164 inner door handle repair info

Well, it gave up today. Pulled on it, and nada. Outside latch still works, though. I saw several posts regarding fixing/modifying/replacing it, and it looks like fun.... Anyway, if you guys could point me to the "condensed" version of "how-to", I'd appreciate it. Funny thing is, I just made a bet a week ago that after replacing belts, and my car running so well, that I'd be good for at least 6 weeks without a repair.... Oh well, looks like I just lost a couple bucks! But I do love this car - it keeps me young and in shape! (lol)
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/792357-post10.html

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, sure enough, the handle broke at the fork end. Clean break, though. Put the pieces back together with JBweld, and reinforced with a piece of heavy metal between them also set in JBweld. Should hold nicely, I'm thinking.

The 2 plastic mounting clips on the back of the door panel are very old and fragile, and just fell off. I'm going to epoxy them back on, and see if they will hold up.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The 2 plastic mounting clips on the back of the door panel are very old and fragile, and just fell off. I'm going to epoxy them back on, and see if they will hold up.
Fortunately the mountings that hook over studs on the door are not essential. The door handle/armrest does a fair job of holding the panel on, along with the pressed-on strip along the top. I find some contact adhesive is helpful to hold the soft vinyl covering in place at the top corner.

-Alex

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Don't worry about those two plastic clips, they are completely unnecessary, IMO. They're what's called "overkill."
Charles

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
I've found that the JB Weld in that application will not hold without also using a couple of rivets or bolts as Steve did. With just moderate load, it just separates away from the metal, even with cleaning the metal carefully, because of the prying loading which broke it in the first place.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Steve, got a fix for the outside door handles? I'm on my third drivers side and it's holding up pretty good - so far, but the front passenger side (replaced once already) is showing the dreaded stress cracks along the edges - it's only a matter of time.

·
Premium Member
27,279 Posts
Steve, got a fix for the outside door handles? I'm on my third drivers side and it's holding up pretty good - so far, but the front passenger side (replaced once already) is showing the dreaded stress cracks along the edges - it's only a matter of time.
Keep your passenger away from door handle until you have doors unlocked is only fix I know of.

·
Premium Member
16,146 Posts
All of these door handles are weak in design and material. Doesn't help that people in the U.S. at least are used to manhandling things on cars, slamming car doors, wrenching at door handles, etc. Doesn't excuse poor design/materials though by the Europeans.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think the door handles (and doors for that matter) on the porsche are made from left over panzer tank steel.
THe auto lock solenoid on the passenger door gave up last summer. It sort of works still in that when you lock or unlcok that door manually all the other doors lock/unlock, it just doesn't obey any commands given to it (like from the remote or the central lock switch).
Thanks for the link to the inner door handle fix. That will definitely come in handy i'm sure!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, guys. Well, I can attest that JBweld is not the answer, even when reinforced with a joining piece of steel. So, looks like some fabrication is in order - some Dremel work, and a strap of steel bolting the 2 pieces together is my next game plan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've repaired two inside door handles w/ JB weld. I sold the first car after about a year and the handle was still working. I still own the 2nd car and handle works great. Not sure if I just had good luck or maybe it's the location of the break, but my JB weld has been successful for my handles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts