Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this topic here before, it gets cold, doors stop working right.

Well, I'm now a victim. I am attaching a photo of the lock mechanism, which I've bathed in WD-40. Next question: how does it come out?

Where does the grease go exactly. The "area" in the attached photo was full of black guck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I've been doing this for years. I get a piece of thick flexable plastic, cut it ~7 x 9 inches, loosen the door mechanism and drape the plastic over the mechanism wedging it between the door and the mechanism. It prevent water from getting on it and you'll never have this problem.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
I've seen this topic here before, it gets cold, doors stop working right.

Well, I'm now a victim. I am attaching a photo of the lock mechanism, which I've bathed in WD-40. Next question: how does it come out?

Where does the grease go exactly. The "area" in the attached photo was full of black guck.
To remove that latch assembly you need to remove door panel, armrest, etc. With window UP, loosen 4 screws visible in door shutface and it should be easy to wrestle out. Good time to remove door handle (3 nuts) and clean/lube it as well. Bathing in WD40 good to remove the gunk. I use marine type lith grease in there. Fresh grease will be good many years to come.

By the way - if it won't shut in the cold when you casually close the door, try pushing the door closed against the latch slowly and holding it in place for a moment. It usually will catch! I had to do this a couple of times when I was out n about in freezing weather - didn't want to drive home with the door open...

·
Premium Member
15,849 Posts
Alfetta's are prone to this. Our 75 sedan was esp susceptible, as water could get easily into the mechanism and then when it froze outside, we had to drive around holding the door closed with our hand. There was no way to get that door latched until the car insides warmed up. A real pain, as I needed two to drive the car, lol. This with not that many miles on the car, maybe 30k in 3 years.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Deja vu. Had this problem with my first two Alfettas and my Milano, and never solved it. Used to drive around with a long bungee strung between the armrests to hold the doors closed. Hated it. But that was back in the pre-AlfaBB days.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts