Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the light on the dash that tells you a door is open was showing the drivers door as open no matter how hard I closed it. Also the interior light doesn't come on when its open now.

I would have thought there would be a simple switch in the hinge area but i couldn't find one. If there is one, then where is it?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
nope, not on 24 v car anyway. the sensor as I recall is in the body side, the only electrical connection from the door latch mechanism is for the lock --

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
It would be helpful if people would put what year and model car they have in their signature:) I've got to admit I haven't had one apart in years, but from what I remember the 12V door latch I had apart had a switch in the mechanism. The electrical section of the shop manual doesn't say much and I'm speaking strictly 12V. I've never owned or worked on a 24V.
Section 55 (12V), Doors, page 10 shows 2 wiring harnesses associated with the latch mechanism in the door. The description doesn't say what they are for, but I thought one was for the lock solenoid and the other for the Door Open switch. The only reference to the door post is the striker plate, no wiring.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It's a magnetic proximity switch in the two part door latch inside the door.

One door switch just failed on my SAAB.

Unlike my SAAB this switch also signals the interior lights on the 164.

Sudden failure might be a break in continuity rather than a failed sensor. If it is the sensor you'll need a replacement internal latch mechanism.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
If switch has truly failed you can install a regular door jam type push button switch in bottom of door and hook the two wires coming from the door latch to it. I had that type of repair done to RR door on QS1 when we got it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts