Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

My mechanic told me I needed to get a new left (driver) side front trans mount for my 164. The problem is every where I look (international, centerline) for the part they only have a trans mount for automatics and I have a manual. The only thing that comes close in their catalogue is call the "driver side front engine mount". Is that the same thing?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Hello Everyone,

My mechanic told me I needed to get a new left (driver) side front trans mount for my 164. The problem is every where I look (international, centerline) for the part they only have a trans mount for automatics and I have a manual. The only thing that comes close in their catalogue is call the "driver side front engine mount". Is that the same thing?

thanks!
Yes but order the automatic tranny mount 60556613 it works fine with 5-speed tranny and a whole lot cheaper. I have been running one in my 5-speed 164 for over 5 years. You can also get it from Di Fatta Brothers - Alfa Romeo and Fiat Parts Sales and Service under same Alfa part number 60556613 that IAP lists it. IAP price $53.25 versus 5-speed one IAP 24788 (AR 60510342) at $249.50. Way way to much money.

Don't let your mech tell you the A/T mount is wrong and won't work because it will and it does work even though it looks much different. A/T is much heavier and this mount is much stronger than 5-speed mount.

Compare prices of both 60510342 and 60556613 here Di Fatta Brothers - Alfa Romeo and Fiat Parts Sales and Service and Alfa Parts Catalog - Alfa Romeo parts online store

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
Hello Everyone,

thanks!
Yes, you can use the Auto mount but your mechanic will not know what to do with it without instruction. I have done the same thing and have sent the mount to a customers shop and they could not see how to make it work.

Alfissimo Has them too.
I have overstock on those mounts if your looking for one.
I also have some USED 5 speed mounts as well. All good.
Automatic Transmission Mount-Front Driver's side - Alfa Romeo OEM and Performance Parts- Tel: +1 480-858-9156

These are OEM.

Jason

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
That particular mount lasts a looooong time. Way do they say you need a new one? Has it torn through or something? I would doubt that you need that one, the passenger side ones are usually the ones that go.
Charles

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Yes, you can use the Auto mount but your mechanic will not know what to do with it without instruction. I have done the same thing and have sent the mount to a customers shop and they could not see how to make it work.

Alfissimo Has them too.
I have overstock on those mounts if your looking for one.
I also have some USED 5 speed mounts as well. All good.
Automatic Transmission Mount-Front Driver's side - Alfa Romeo OEM and Performance Parts- Tel: +1 480-858-9156

These are OEM.

Jason
Jason sorry I keep forgetting to put you in the loop on parts. I will try harder from here on.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
That particular mount lasts a looooong time. Way do they say you need a new one? Has it torn through or something? I would doubt that you need that one, the passenger side ones are usually the ones that go.
Charles

I agree hardly ever have I seen tranny mount fail but many a front engine mount has bit the dust on 164s I have worked on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all.

If I do purchase the auto mount what instruction do I give him? It looks like it bolts similar to its manual counterpart. He said that my original has started to "crack".

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
thanks all.

If I do purchase the auto mount what instruction do I give him? It looks like it bolts similar to its manual counterpart. He said that my original has started to "crack".

Thanks again!
Support tranny with jack, remove old mount and U-shaped bracket from from tranny and sub frame as a one piece assembly (two long bolts and nuts from tranny and two bolts from subframe). Remove old mount mounting nut from U-shaped bracket that bolts to tranny. Install A/T mount in U-shaped bracket and run nut all the way down on long threaded shaft of A/T mount.

Note: that new A/T mount sub frame mount has bolt holes closer together than 5-speed mount so you will use one original hole in sub frame and one other one that was covered up by old mount so check threads in that hole for dirt and clean out before installing mount.

So it almost a plug and play once you realize extra bolt hole in sub frame for A/T mount.

Reinstall mount and bracket to tranny with four bolts removed in the beginning and only parts left over should be old 5-speed mount.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts