Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for a used driver side door handle in good condition for my 1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce. It‘s ok if it has the burnished patina that they tend to acquire over the decades, but corrosion, bubbles, missing or flaking chrome are a non-starter. My original has developed a crack in the “lifter” portion which causes it to flex and not open the door properly. It appears to be made of pot metal so it’s not surprising this has happened.

I’d prefer the part be in North America…I’m in the Bay Area.

-tj

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
It sounds like the common break. Fixable with plate screws and epoxy. But a bit of work.

K

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
I took off the driver's inner door panel to put in new check strap and rollers, moving half of the outer handle and the top rear glass rubber guide. Silicone sprayed the glass guides, oiled all moving parts in the door and a little extra oil as rust prevention. The first image shows the "new" outer handle made from my original stationary half with a good used moving half, I did the opposite on the passenger side. The next images show the removed parts, the moving driver's part with deep gouges and the stationary passenger part with the chrome sanded off in places and a dent. A mystery how the gouges and dent got there, assume sloppy body men for sanding chrome off 40 years ago.
You can take all the individual parts of the handle apart and just replace the defective part.
I may have part for you.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. It’s actually the part that you lift up on, and the crack is in a place that’s very hard to access. I don’t think I’d have much success trying to repair it.

-tj

It sounds like the common break. Fixable with plate screws and epoxy. But a bit of work.

K

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Steve-I had a pair just like this and sold them after I completed the car. (Oops). I’d prefer not to replace both but I’ll let you know if I decide to do so.

-tj

I have a left and right NOS set with keys $360 US. Freight would be for say under 1kg to US ~$65US. Total $425US.
Regards Steve

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Thanks. It’s actually the part that you lift up on, and the crack is in a place that’s very hard to access. I don’t think I’d have much success trying to repair it.

-tj
The driver side lifter is the part I refer too and I have repaired. But if you value your time and do not need the challenge, find one to buy. But be aware a used one may be on the verge of breaking as it is a heavy use part.

Ken

Reactions: brad fischer

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
18,212 Posts
I had that happen to the same latch on my 64 Sprint GT. Was able to repair it by bolting in a small block of aluminum in the back using a couple of hidden bolts. Couldn't see that it had been repaired and it worked as new, lasted for years after. Never did have to replace it. A close look/inspection should let your imagination see how it could be done.

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for the outer latches for the 164. Alfa door handles have always been weak, in every model IMO.

Reactions: kengta

·
Registered
'56 Giulietta Sprint, '65 Giulia Spider Veloce, '69 1750 Duetto, '71 GTV 1750, '73 JZ 1600
59 Posts
Have just completed the repair of a set left and right as per attached pictures. Have made alu plates and fixed them with small screws, 3 per side. Stronger than original. Reinforced, The set has one master key to fit both sides. Price for the set including shipping to US is EURO 200,- (duty unpaid)

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Vision care Hood Automotive lighting Eye glass accessory Automotive design

1 - 11 of 11 Posts