Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
getting a wobble under the car especially out of 1st gear and it's coming from the driveshaft. All of the connecting Donuts are in great shape so I'm thinking the driveshaft is out of balance.
has anyone ever had their Propshaft/driveshaft balanced??
what was the process?
thanks Paul

·
Registered
106 Posts
First of all, the driveshaft spins at engine RPM so there is no connection to whatever gear you're in.
If you have a wobble in 1st gear, look for the problem elsewhere.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First of all, the driveshaft spins at engine RPM so there is no connection to whatever gear you're in.
If you have a wobble in 1st gear, look for the problem elsewhere.
let me rephrase that
The wobble happens when under heavy acceleration

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would check your motor mounts (3 of them) and the gearbox mounts (front two on the crossmember) first.
If they are sagging (common problem) then this can cause all kinds of wobbles/vibrations in the driveshaft.

Generally these shafts do not go out of balance. If there is a wobble/vibration it almost always something else that is broken/worn out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would check your motor mounts (3 of them) and the gearbox mounts (front two on the crossmember) first.
If they are sagging (common problem) then this can cause all kinds of wobbles/vibrations in the driveshaft.

Generally these shafts do not go out of balance. If there is a wobble/vibration it almost always something else that is broken/worn out.
thank you
I Think you are correct
The Tranz Mounts seem to be slouching

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
What about the center bearing and its mount? But I would agree with 75Tickspark, if the engine or trans move to much under load it may cause unwanted vibration because the drive shaft will be slightly misaligned when that happens. The rear engine mount that mounts to the bell housing is soft and has a lot of void, so that might be one I would check out first.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have all NEW parts going in along with new transmission mounts which were slightly worn but am also having the Driveshaft checked anyway. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check all the centering devices on the ends of the shafts where they join in the middle, and where the front slides into the flywheel. There are several bits than can wear, break, and create problems. Reassemble with care, and grease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts