Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a shop in the Atlanta area that can replace the ujoints and balance the drive shaft for my Spider. I have the drive shaft off.
Anyone have any recommendations and shops they have used and could recommend?

TIA

Gary

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It is almost never necessary to ballance the drive shaft after replacing the U joints.
You should mark the parts first.
The shaft for a meaningful balance would have to involve the whole drive shaft (2 halves connected) there are very few places that can do that.
Elio

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
yes it needs to be delivered to a shop complete, they dismantle it, throw out any worn U/Js (if these are worn you can forget a balance)
ain't as easy as it seems: for a start you need a machine that I wouldn't like to know what it costs:(
It is amazing how much this one on U tube moved with just a slight belt with a hammer-scary!

But as Elio says it rarely needs doing - if you feel an imbalance, could well be the PO removed it, not marked it properly and put it back 180 out of sync - try dismantling and turn through 180, bolt it together and test it then - you might get lucky!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,
I'll keep you posted on the progress
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
FWIW

I just did this here in Dallas - There wasn't any specific recommended shop for drive shaft work here so after reading some online reviews, I went to "The Drive Shaft King". I took them the Centerline Driveshaft rebuild kit (center bearing, u-joints) and had them install them and balance the drive shaft.

They weren't familiar with Alfa per se, but had a guy who specialized in "foreign cars".

Total cost was $120 - $15 for each u joint, $30 for the center bearing, and $60 for the balancing.

Their only concern in the beginning was if they had the correct size chuck to put it in their balancing machine. They did and the rest was easy.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Gary, were you able to track down a shop you can reccomend? The D/S in my Giulietta has a vibration at 70 mph that's been very hard to rectify. I'm not sure what response I'll get if I walk into a shop with a fifty year old driveshaft from an 80 hp foreign car when their specialty is Peterbuilts.

Mike Hollinger
Atlanta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts