Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the drive shaft on the sedan is longer. Is it the front or rear shaft which differs from the coupe? I need to replace my rear shaft. RobH, do you still have your old one? Does anyone have this piece? It an early driveshaft.
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
alfasrule...just a point to be aware which i found out...our 116 berlina is '76 vintage and came with the earlier type clutch...the driveshaft on the early clutches (cylindrical) which is in front of the gearbox at the rear is longer than the later clutch driveshafts (tapered).
Our mechanic had to make good the length compared with the original and personally even though he said the later clutches can take more power from rest and are more resilient I prefer the sweetness of the original which is also lighter than the later ones.

I posed the question on this site why precisely the clutch driveshaft was changed from cyliindrical to tapered but no answer so i guess was just for longevity purposes

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Power? This car is a Cream Puff. It's got no gusto. It's the Family Car. 110HP Anyway thanks for the shaft info I 'm all 75 straight shaft on the clutch and old donuts. Got all that stuff. When she BLEW up on the way to the Boston car show, the rear tip bent. Rather have a worn one than the one I got. Hope RobH responds. My friend Jeff is working on it so I may have to make a few calls to see if I can get one. I wish the front one was longer, and the same as the coupe. I can get those pretty easilly.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I still got my old one, and it is yours for free if you pay shipping... It might take me a week or so to pick it up and ship.. Got a busy week at work. Pm your address and we'll figure out the shipping charge.. The nose of the shaft is Is worn more on one side than the other because it was running slightly off center, but other have told me that could be remedied with some welding skill.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob going to HMA's in Maine this weekend. Maybe I can pick it up Sunday? It's a little diversion, but not too bad. Give a shout when you get a chance to see if this is possible.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine looks a lot worse than that. Yours looks like a newer Drive shaft? I got the other piece to modify mine to the newer style. Just want to know.

·
Registered
974 Posts
John.. Call me.. Pm for #...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts