Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Drifting is cool but I prefer power sliding. I haven't been able to do that in an Alfa yet. Much easier with a rwd V8. I had a helluva time power sliding in a 2000 Camaro SS at a GM test drive day. You know when you go to an event where you can test drive all kinds of cars. I actually got kicked out! But not for power sliding. I killed a row of cones going into a 90' turn. I did not realize that they had turned the ABS off. Locked 'em up, slid through the cones and then a huge cloud of tire smoke followed.

I also had fun learning Rockford slides in a rental car. Go fast in reverse, yank the wheel, throw it into drive and gun it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
i drifted my alfa in my yard one time in some dirt, cause i thought it would be funny. it was. i usually do it in my volvo though. the other day i attempted my first rockford slide in the volvo and it was so awesome. i also tried to pull a 180 skid but that didnt work too well, even with the hand brake. one time me and my friend were doing drifts over and over on the wet cement once and my car flipped all the way around and we took off going the opposite way we intended. some old men gave us an applause because we looked like we actually knew what we were doing.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Ah yes! Drifting is a young person's sport!

I grew up in snow drifts, where drifting was a way of life in the winter!

Nowadays, I just worry about how much my new tires will cost!:D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Hahaha! Alex, I couldn't agree with you more! I used to do the most ridiculous things in my cars when I was younger. The parking brake was one of my favorite 'tools'. I'd use it to slide in my '73 Celica. I used it in a Cavalier to burn out for half a block. Held the parking brake while stomping on the gas pedal. Crept forward while the front tires just screamed and smoked. I won a bet against a Nova guy on who could lay the longest rubber mark. Man, was he pissed!

Now worrying about the cost of replacing broken parts keeps me relatively in check.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you're in So Cal and want to drift, power slide, 360, lock'em up and go backwards and do it safely come on out to our AROSC High Performance Driving School at Willow Springs Raceway (Streets of Willow track) Sept 13 - 14. 2 days of dry skid pad, wet skid pad and when you think you've got it down there are the elevation changes, counter banks and 90 to 180 degree turns on this tight 1.5 mile road track.
Check the web site www.arosc.org

See ya Kai

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sliding a GTA

Well, I can tell you some things! Yesterday was a track day at Bremerton Airport, and I got to exercise my '65 GTA.

First off, you'll know it's a 105 Alfa, it behaves the same way, and responds to mods the same way. It is not night and day, and certainly not worth the premium some people are paying for one these days! We won't get into that, because just knowing it's a GTA is what it's all about.

My GTA is configured with a standard 24mm front bar, and no rear bar at all. Springs are relatively soft, in fact, they're probably cut down standard GTV springs. Tires are a huge deal, mine have bias ply Hoosier Street TD's, and this produces a car that is very benign to drive. She pushes a bit, but the tires stick quite well. Without a rear bar, and soft rear springs, it's hard to provoke oversteer, but it's a damned reassuring car to drive. I will hook up my original low-mount GTA rear bar just to see what difference it makes. I'd like the car to be more tossable.

As it was, at yesterday's duel, I was neck and neck with a beater pro-7 RX7, which is a nearly stock '81 RX-7. A well prepared 2.5 Challenge GTV will eat me alive at this stage my car's development, but that's not what it's all about, right? Also, my car is lacking a C/R gearbox, which really would help. The 1600 must be kept spinning above 6300rpm for it to really scoot.

Next step is to dyno the motor, and make jetting/timing improvements, haven't even begun to go there yet. Hell, 3 motors in 3 years, it's tough to keep it alive long enough to fiddle with it. It wears on you, I'm telling ya.

Like all 105 Alfas, the brakes are phenominal.

Cheers!!

Steve Schaeffer
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hey, Steve! Welcome! It was such a blast to watch both you and Wes going all out on that little track...From the bottom corner worker's station, I could really compare each driver's apex. Hey, ar1750GTV- A few pics of Steve's GTA are on here in the thread about "SOVREN Historics Pit Pics". I took several on Wednesday, too, but I've not looked at them yet. We had 4 or 5 GTVs, Steve's GTA, a Guilia Spider, a Berlina, two Milanos, plus a bunch of N-I cars. (Non-Italian). Lots of seat time, fantastic weather, good clean fun ws had by all!

·
Registered
634 Posts
****!! The soundtrack rules as well!

I'm amazed he can do that many 360's. Wonder how he's doing that. Nice that he has 3 friends in the car, so his own stupidity can kill even more people.

Steve S.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Wow.

I did that once, at Willow Springs big track, but it wasn't nearly as well controlled, and my nice blue car ended up as a nice desert-colored 75 when I was done.

Plus, I would have beaten everyone that clilmbed on my hood with my helmet... what a riot.

For the record, I wasn't drifting, I was spinning, out of control I might add, that exit out of turn nine is real dodgy when you have slippery P-Zero's that were melting in the hot summer day.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
smestas said:
You havent seen real drifting untill you have seen this clip!
No that was one of our AROSC instructors driving a student's car at last year's Street Performance class. (we never do that stuff in our own cars!)
Notice the new, all white instructor's shirts we will wear in 2004!

Also, I noticed that the prime sponsor for the Irwindale Speedway Drifting exhibition was YOKOHAMA??

What a *****en way to burn tires and crunch sheet metal.

·
Registered
135 Posts
smestas said:
You havent seen real drifting untill you have seen this clip!
Geeze, that's nothing compared to some of the test drives when I used to sell cars! ;-)

You'd be amazed at what happens when people, "see what she'll do," on a brand new engine and slippery fresh tires *cringe*

1 - 20 of 20 Posts