Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
This is my first post. Last week I bought a 2004 3 door 147 manual that had come from a deceased estate & had only 2,800km on the clock.
Graduated from a BMW Z3 after having 2 roof slashes in 4 months :mad:
Really enjoying getting to know the Alfa but wondered about adding some subtle add-ons, maybe an exhaust tip & mud flaps. Any ideas on products or other suggestions? Bought some generic floor mats today after being quoted $120 for the real thing by this town's only Alfa dealer - aint monopolies a great way to make money :cool:

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Wolster, sorry we seem to have ignored you! Welcome to the BB and especially to the Aussie forum.

Sounds like a good buy and I hope you enjoy it. My next door neighbour loves his 147.

Subtle mods are probably the go - is there a lowering kit for the 147 like there is for the 156? That looks OK to me (but I need a bit of clearance, personally). Generally though I think BB consensus will be that the designer did a good enough job, already, why mess with perfection;):D

Once again, welcome and have fun. If you are keen driver or ham-fisted mechanic you should find the BB a great resource.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Gavin. I didn't expect so many welcome notes & the advice on the 147 design is appreciated - you gotta give it those Italians when it comes to design!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Keep on eye on ebay, they often have new model Alfa alloy wheels in 17" that are quite cheap, wheels are definately the easiest way to improve a cars looks at a resonable price.

But if you want to be really different there are several companies in Europe that offer everything from performance upgrades to body kits for the 147

ie: http://www.zender-tuning.com/alfaromeo_alfa147_alfa147s2_tuning_Norway.html

Or, if money is no object, just get a 147 GTA :p

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'd vote for wheels first. Get some GTA rims or some DTM Fin style ones for it. 17's should be big enough. Do that before lowering (as you may not need to with the bigger wheels).

Maybe a nice exhaust - Remus or a custom SS system (but not a cannon - that's for the ricer boys).

Dark tint the windows.

And that's probably about it really. Good thing about buying a nice car to start with - not much to do to improve it.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Well they are cheap at least, i got 18" rims with tyres for $1200 for my old Alfetta sedan.

But if you want quality and customer service go elsewhere!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Wolster
Welcome to alfa ownership and a lifetime of love, heartache and an empty wallet! Bodykits are quite uncommon and difficult to obtain in Australia without paying top dolalr to import a kit from Europe. If cost is no object check out gazzella.cc or alfaowner.com which have plenty of kits listed. In my opinion the 147 has quite a sporty shape as it is and only needs lowering and perhaps a roof wing ala 147Ti and GTA to set it off.

18inch wheels aren't too good for the steering rack and suspension components and actually detract from the performance and handling of hte car. 17inch is adequate and with 40 profile tyres looks sporty enough.
With Mazda3sports coming from hte factory with 17's it doesnt quite seem right though i will agree!

You'd be better off fitting an entire suspension kit, either coilovers or shocks and springs in one hit rather than doing the springs now and shocks later. You'll save on installation too. FK suspension kits(gazzella) seemed to be the go when I did quite extensive research for my ex-156. Otherwise you can source Eibach sprigns and Koni shocks locally which were the other popular choice.
However seeing your car has done so few k's you'd get away with just fitting springs for about 30k kms. Though the suspension will be pretty crashy.
i remember carshine.com.au having some dress up bits too.

You might want to check out aus-cartalk.com and go to the alfa forum. THere are a few 147 guys there who've dressed up their cars a little.
Might i suggest the GTA induction mod or just remove the airbox and resonator complety for an irrestible induction roar!

Hope this has helped a bit. Feel free to ask anymroe questions.

p.s. PLease please don't go to tempe tyres and buy a 19inch taiwanese chrome wheel package for $1500! You can get good copy GTA wheels for about 300 a corner. Have a look at Bob Jane in Edgecliff if you;re in Sydney. OTherwise BBS CH's look trick albeit a little over done nowdays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks, Max! Heaps of great info. As it happens, I just spoke to a performance workshop who suggested that a good exhaust system and air filter would open up the system to breath better and add about 12kw of power and include a better looking exaust tip. I now agree that the shape & style does not need much in terms of improvement. Will consider the roof spoiler, though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
wol, don't go spending 000's on a filter/airbox and exhaust under the assumption of getting 12kw more power. Performance gains to be had on the t-spark are almost 0 without spenidng 5k+ on a supercharger or new cams or something similar. The most you can hope for with an airbox is slightly improved throttle response.
imho exhausts on non-turbo 4 cylinders sounds pretty farty. Aside from older carbed ferrari or alfa 4 cylinders with straight through ss systems.
I have to say one of the greatest flaws aesthetically on hte 147 is the ugly exhuast that you can see easily from behind. A backing plate made by an exhuast shop with a new tip, perhaps the oval one from a mk 1 156 would look good.
If it were me, i' get a BMC CDA ($600) which is a carbon fibre airbox and gives the best induction rumble ive heard. Very throaty and purposeful. If you;re a little bit handy it can be easily fitted yourself, otherwise allow about an hours workshop time.
What city are you located in?

·
Registered
87 Posts
keep us updated. Post some pics of your car. Use photobucket.com to host the pics if you're not sure. Was tempted by a 147Ti at one stage so i know them quite well. Overall how do you find the car? Quality, performance... all the best. Though your coming from the worst models to date from one of hte best car makers in the world... no offence! Mroadster was always a dream of mine at one stage, a steal too at about 50k these days. E46 M3 engine in a lithe 2 door roadster....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree with your M comments. I know that the Z3 was much maligned but it was still a fun car to own & drive. With the 4 cyl, I tended to look the other way at traffic lights:) but it was nimble when up & running.
My first 1000km in the Alfa have been great. Took me a while to get used to the longer throw gearshift & the pedals that are too close together but am now slipping into the comfort mode. Great zip. Love the handling & definately agree that it is a quality build.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
I chopped off about 2 inches with a pair of bolt cutters and glued the shift knob back on! Doesnt actually mechanically reduce any of the shift motion but makes it look a lot better. I agree it looks quite dowdy with the standard long lever. Just unclip the shift boot and pull hard on the knob when in neutral. Make sure not to break your nose when it comes off! Looks great. ITalians certainly make the best leather seats in th ebus thanks to momo too. Glad you're enjoying the alfa experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts