Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,879 Posts
Yeah, the shop manual is very vague, but I eventually realized that the full procedure is actually in the owner's manual (page 72 in my version).

It includes the location of the bolts to drain the block. I haven't done this on the Milano yet, but I'm guessing these are a real PITA to get to. Hoping I'm wrong, though.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
pull the lowwer rad hose slowly to drain the majority of it...least thats how ive done it......new rad WILL have a drain **** on it

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,879 Posts
See, that's what ticks me off about the board auto-censorship. You can't say drain ****. Or even mention that the **** crowed at dawn. Or explain how you're going to **** your arm back to **** someone in the jaw.

If you ask me, the guy who wrote the censored words list is a freakin' ****!

·
1991 164L
27,692 Posts
Censorship aside, the heads do not have drain plugs but the V6 engine block does. One on each side. Use a 7/8" aka 22mm socket or box end wrench to remove them and don't loose the aluminum sealing washer under them. Left side one is located very near where the dip stick and oil level sender located (164) AND RIGHT ONE near where oil filter screws onto block. Yes they are hard to get to but not impossible except for rear one (RIGHT SIDE) on a 24v 164.

As for draining system without pulling those plugs you pretty much need to loosen clamp on lower radiator hose and either remove hose from radiator or at least insert a screwdriver between hose and radiator outlet to get coolant to drain slowly.

If you want to drain block and do it right to get a complete flush you need to get those block drain plugs out. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH A MUST IF PULLING HEADS SO YOU DON'T GET A WATER TO OIL MIX.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,456 Posts
If you want to drain block and do it right to get a complete flush you need to get those block drain plugs out.
I *used to* pull those plugs to get a complete flush, but I have found that it is much simpler to make a fitting for the upper hose that allows you to blow compressed air through the engine (kinda like a big rubber stopper with a hole through it).

This lets you get a complete drain out the lower hose in just a couple of minutes.

Joe

·
1991 164L
27,692 Posts
I *used to* pull those plugs to get a complete flush, but I have found that it is much simpler to make a fitting for the upper hose that allows you to blow compressed air through the engine (kinda like a big rubber stopper with a hole through it).

This lets you get a complete drain out the lower hose in just a couple of minutes.

Joe
How does that work if thermostat is closed when engine is cold?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, Great Post!!!!! I needed a laugh after spending most of the day pulling the cam covers to retorque the head bolts. It is mostly back together now so tomorrow I will drain the coolant.....before the Super Bowl.

Joe thanks for the compressed air technique....I may give that one a try when I get frustrated at finding and getting at the block drain plugs.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,456 Posts
How does that work if thermostat is closed when engine is cold?
Right you are, Steve. I was typing faster than I was thinking.

On a V6, you would blow the compressed air through the coolant expansion tank, not the top hose.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks everybody for the inputs.

I pulled the cam covers and retourqued the head nuts on both sides. Drained the oil and changed the oil filter, still no signs of water in the oil. I pulled the radiator and the header tank flushing both of them to get as much of any grime out of them. I used Joe's technique of using compressed air to force the remaining coolant out of the block. Just blocked off the coolant hoses going to the header tank with a couple of old spark plugs and then shot compressed air in the one hose from the header tank that goes to the bottom radiator hose. All of the old coolant comes out the bottom radiator hookup on the thermostat housing. I also hooked up a hose to the same place I shot the air into and then flushed out the system with fresh water and then blew it out too. Replaced all of the hoses and then filled the system according to the owner's manual taking care to bleed off the air in the system via the bleed port on the top of the thermostat housing.

Now we shall see if any of that helps out with my problem. I checked the coolant after a short warm up drive and there is a little hint of oil back in the header tank but that could be residual. I will keep a close eye on it over the next few days and see if any more appears....if it does then I am afraid it will be head gaskets next.

See related thread Oil in the Coolant

·
Richard Jemison
8,120 Posts
Drain plugs

You can drain the coolent surrounding the liners by removing the screwed in plugs on both sides of the motor. That & the radiator catches the muck.
Put in a packet of dishwashing cleaner, drive for a day then throughly flush, & add your antifreeze solution. :eek::p

·
Registered
448 Posts
Censorship aside, the heads do not have drain plugs but the V6 engine block does. One on each side. Use a 7/8" aka 22mm socket or box end wrench to remove them and don't loose the aluminum sealing washer under them. Left side one is located very near where the dip stick and oil level sender located (164) AND RIGHT ONE near where oil filter screws onto block. Yes they are hard to get to but not impossible except for rear one (RIGHT SIDE) on a 24v 164.

As for draining system without pulling those plugs you pretty much need to loosen clamp on lower radiator hose and either remove hose from radiator or at least insert a screwdriver between hose and radiator outlet to get coolant to drain slowly.

If you want to drain block and do it right to get a complete flush you need to get those block drain plugs out. THIS IS PRETTY MUCH A MUST IF PULLING HEADS SO YOU DON'T GET A WATER TO OIL MIX.
Are we talking about a 12 valve V6 like in the milano or the 24 valve engine? i remember asking this question a few years ago and nobody mentioned drain plugs? I was told just to take the bottom rad hose out, drain, flush, place the hose back on the radiator and then refill with fresh coolant.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks Kredden, so is there another drain plug on the other side? Do you drain the coolant out of the radiator first and then undo the drain plugs?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm about to do a coolant flush on my 24v 164. Is there a particular flush that someone can recommend? Is there anything I should avoid? I've also got a very slow leak, it seems to be coming from the left lower corner of the radiator. Can someone recommend a stop leak product? The radiator is apparently only 4-5 years old (on reviewing receipts from the previous owner). The leak is definitely from a metal corner of the radiator, no plastic involved! Finally, any recommendations for a long life coolant?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You may want to research Evans Coolant as a alternate to water.

Need to remove all water first by using their flush.

Good product.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,879 Posts
You may want to research Evans Coolant as a alternate to water.

Need to remove all water first by using their flush.

Good product.
No you don't, and no it isn't.

Stuff's been discussed a lot: do a search.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts