Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best, least messy way to do this? It’s all still in the car, but I pulled the dash and center console. I need to remove the heater valve just to get to the 2 nuts on the d/s, but am leery of doing so b/c of all the coolant draining out. If I have the valve in the ‘off’ position, no coolant should drain from the intake side, but there’s still coolant in the core, plus, i assume, coolant could also come in from the discharge side?

Seems like the most sure way would be to drain all coolant and go from there? Looking forward to the collective wisdom. Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,747 Posts
Only way I know of to not make a mess is to drain all the coolant. Then you can use low pressure compressed air on the driver’s side heater hose to blow any remaining coolant out of the core.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Uh... I’ve never had to remove mine, but it seems simple enough to just pinch the hoses or find a suitable size plug for the hoses or heater core nozzles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only way I know of to not make a mess is to drain all the coolant. Then you can use low pressure compressed air on the driver’s side heater hose to blow any remaining coolant out of the core.
Tanks @Gubi, was afraid of that...

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh... I’ve never had to remove mine, but it seems simple enough to just pinch the hoses or find a suitable size plug for the hoses or heater core nozzles.
Thanks Ken, I like the idea of the plugs. I’ll check Home Depot plumbing aisle. I’m only doing it b/c I noticed the other day that the p/s vent flap doesn’t work—air comes out on the floor, but no matter how I adjust it it doesn’t come out of the dash vent. So I only have 50% defrost. Plus the heat smells funky, so there’s something in there, so....... You know me, can’t leave well enough alone.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,747 Posts
He's trying to remove the heater valve. When you do that (or even if you just disconnect the hoses at the core, pinched or no) all the coolant in the core will make a mess.

I mean, you can try to catch it in a cup or something, but easiest to just drain the system and get as much coolant out before you start.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Thanks Ken, I like the idea of the plugs. I’ll check Home Depot plumbing aisle. I’m only doing it b/c I noticed the other day that the p/s vent flap doesn’t work—air comes out on the floor, but no matter how I adjust it it doesn’t come out of the dash vent. So I only have 50% defrost. Plus the heat smells funky, so there’s something in there, so....... You know me, can’t leave well enough alone.
Blocked vent + funky smell = dead critter...

Sounds like you're going to need to pull the heater to fix that. With the dash and center console out, you're 4 nuts and two hoses away. Then you can do a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Gubi and Gproket have given you good advice, this is a case of while your in there . I mean you have the dash out so it is very easy to pull the assembly, there are foam gaskets that will be crumbling for one thing. I know this because I have just rebuilt one for my Berlina resto. Hope this helps. Regards John

Reactions: jthames

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blocked vent + funky smell = dead critter...

Sounds like you're going to need to pull the heater to fix that. With the dash and center console out, you're 4 nuts and two hoses away. Then you can do a thorough cleaning.
Thanks Brian, dead critter EXACTLY. And I can pull the dash and console in about 35 min! The wiring diagram makes it super easy to put it back.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts