Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '88 spider has started to drain the battery down. The battery disconnected seems to hold a charge pretty well. I put an ohm meter across the cables (disconnected) and it showed basically a dead short. I expected some resistance to show up, but not 0 ohms. When I charge it full I can expect the battery to last about 24 hours....

Before I start the "pull fuses one by one" approach does anyone have any ideas of common experiences with this issue?
Where do I start?

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Major culprits:
Clock - working or not
Lights that stay on (brake lights, parking lights, interior lights)
Stereo drain?

·
Administrator
18,297 Posts
The interior lights are the first place I'd check. The lens of the footwell lights is also a switch. There are three positions - automatic, always off & always on. The automatic operation goes through a timer relay that keeps the lights on for 20 - 30 seconds after you close the doors. If the lens were inadvertently kicked to the always on position that could easily go unnoticed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I am curious now. I have never seen any interior lights in this car. Footwell? I will go exploring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 91 would drain the battery to11volts in a week , it was the stock stereo ,switched in a new alpine and now no drain . Try to pull the fuse for the stereo ,6 Alfa’s is correct

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
A good reason to put on a battery minder to keep a low trickle charge on the battery. My radio in the Q will suck down a battery until it is do dead it take a charge of any kind.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. All good ideas. However, my battery used to take months of sitting idle and still crank over immediately. So unless something has "gone to ground" on one of my last ventures out I am going to assume it is the battery.
I think it's time for a new Optima!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts