Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to drain the gas from my 66 GTV. I've had some fuel problems and am going to replace all the fuel filters and the pump.
I notice thee is a handy drain plug in the bottom center of the gas tank...
It looks straightforward... but...
Has anyone used this? Any tips?

Looks to me like if I use this, after I drain the tank I might be able to wash any other crud out the bottom through this hole...
Carl

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Be gentle and it should come out. Look into the hole after you remove the fuel level sensor and see what's going on in the tank. If it's buggered take it to an old school radiator shop. I'd do that anyway...

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I've never done it that way (there is always a first time) I'd be very wary however, it is steel in steel, I'd imagine it's in place and won't come apart without extreme measures which you don't want to use unless the tank has been totally and completely flushed

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd buy a ~$5 syphoning hose from Harbor Freight and suck it out thru the gas filler. Less mess and safer. Plus you'll find other uses for the syphon down the road. The syphon also makes it easier to re-use your fuel because you'll be syphoning it into a gas can; less chances for debris contamination.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi There,

You could try the drain plug, but dont force it, as you wil be left with a leak in your tank.
My Gt junior had 7 year old gas in it that I needed to get rid of. I drained the tank through the fuel hose that leaves the tank, just connect a long piece of hose and suck... It tastes horrible, but makes you appreciate the taste of Tequila again!! Hahahahhah

I did not bother with potential crud in the tank, it has been there for a while so it can stay there for a bit longer.
After that I replaced all fuel hoses and used the fuel pump to flush the whole system with new gas that I poured in the tank. To do so I took the outgoing hose from the fuel filter and hung it in an empty bottle. I opened the carbs and with a syringe I took out the 7 year old gas. Than I connected the hose from the fuel filter back to the carbs and she fired up right after the carbs were filled with fresh gas.

Dont make your life to complicated!
Good luck
Cheers
Charles

·
Registered
759 Posts
The drain plug on my original '65GT is brass, as you can see. I had no issues removing it, but was very careful: use plenty of PB Blaster or other nasty-smelling penetrant beforehand.

You couldn't believe the amount of crud I found in that tank (I kept a jar of it just to show doubters). In my humble opinion, if you aren't going to flush and treat the tank, then install an extra inline filter or two ahead of the carbs: better to clog a filter than a carb.

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts