Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 spider let me down. I have been driving it since my 95 ranger decided to drop a cylinder. A great time driving to work and home till a wire came off the alternator, 36 year old wires sometimes do that. I soldered it back onto the connector in 16 degree weather and drove a couple of more days. then the alt light came on again, this time two wires broke. I soldered them on, and the alt light wouldnt go off. I borrowed the alternator off my sons Alfa he is rebuilding, and everything was fine after a lot of trying to get a stuck bolt out of the old one. drove a couple more days and the throwout bearing started screaming.
I bought another pickup and put the spider under a cover till spring.\ I have several of the crimp on spade connectors for the alternator plug. soldering is the WRONG way, it makes a hard spot in the wires that will break with viberation. if anyone needs the crimp on plugs, let me know.

Why cant things go easy for Alfas?
cliff

·
Registered
857 Posts
You need to move! I was at the Rolex 24 yesterday with the top down and T-shirt. Amazing how many people I met from up north and Canada visiting.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alfabeach, I was riding my motorcycle saturday, 70 degrees, this week, tho, highs in the teens to twenties with lows down to -6 midweek. darn weather keeps going from record highs to snow and cold. hard to keep healthy with those changes.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
mid 70's on Sat and Sunday here, no rear end noise with widnows down:)

·
Registered
what part?
9,971 Posts
no 'rear end noise'? ....solotion...eat more chili:):).. help global warming and make more rear end noise:):)

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Randall, hehe, you dont help GW by eating more chilli. Chilli comes from hamburger, hamburger comes from beef cows, beef cows eat grass, they produce tons of , not only CO2, but even worse for GW- METHANE!!!!!!!!!!!! Methane is way worse for GW than the CO2.....

I know, shoulda posted this on the GW thread on Off Topic.........

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,539 Posts
Taco Bell in one hand and balancing a 45oz pepsi on the consol tray in a .9 G turn is the solution, only 30% beef!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this morning, -2 degrees f. 7 inches of snow, drifts to 2 feet. not supposed to get to freezing till friday. Listening to the scanner, drifts to 3 and 4 feet in ElDorado about 10 miles away. Hey East cost, here comes another!
cliff

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last weekend, 70's, I was riding my motorcycle. yesterday, winds to 50 mph with heavy snow. more snow predicted for monday. and another fairley warm weekend, in the 40's.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:
the engine is completely rebuilt, new bearings, cylinders and pistons. no measurable wear anywhere. now I find that the throwout bearing wasn't making the noise, it is the transmission. The lay shaft is bad. now going to remove the engine and trans from Dan's parts car, and check it out. Hope to get back on the road before snow.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update (again)
Danny and I pulled the engine and tranny out of his parts car. the tranny is a lot smoother rolling the outut shaft, also has less miles, now for a cleaning and try to get it on my car. We arent too sure what the year is on the parts car, it was hit in the passenger door several years ago. it is newer than my 74, with a smog pump and such, stil spica, tho. if anyone needs parts, they should get ahold of Danny, Alfadan

·
Registered
237 Posts
alfabeach, I was riding my motorcycle saturday, 70 degrees, this week, tho, highs in the teens to twenties with lows down to -6 midweek. darn weather keeps going from record highs to snow and cold. hard to keep healthy with those changes.
Do you keep your Alfa in a heated garage?

The reason I ask is because a couple winters ago I had a rather, um, traumatic experience involving my rear plastic window while I was operating my top in 15-degree weather. Heheh.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after all the cold, we had a month and a half of over 100 degrees. makes it kinda hard for a shade tree mechanic to work outside. I have a garage, but its too full to get the Alfa into. I dont put the top down when the temp is 40 degrees or colder. the top had a bad rear window when I bought it. dont want to spend for a new top again too soon.
cliff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts