Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've fixed the common stuck door problem. Lubricated the mechanism really well and it now opens and shuts beautifully.

Unfortunately, it now won't stay shut! Any decent bump and the door mechanism opens allowing the door to swing open.

If it's locked, then it moves out a bit and jams.

Any ideas?

Kerry

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Sounds like you have a spring or lever broken inside door latch mechanism.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
So we've fixed the common stuck door problem. Lubricated the mechanism really well and it now opens and shuts beautifully.

Unfortunately, it now won't stay shut! Any decent bump and the door mechanism opens allowing the door to swing open.

If it's locked, then it moves out a bit and jams.

Any ideas?

Kerry
When I experienced this it was the latch on the door failing to snap to the fully latched position. There is a detent effect. The latch is designed to stay latched even if the latch springs open, a two position latch in effect.

You can check for proper operation by using a suitable tool to manipulate the latch with the door open. You'll appreciate that the latch on the door is a rotating device together with a locking pawl. It automatically latches to the second tight position by striking the loop on the door pillar. Yours may be latching only partly through to the second "locked" position and so pops back to the safety first position at the slightest outward pressure.

I use a screwdriver to mimic the latch striking the door pillar loop. Once you trigger the latch (it should snap like a leg trap) you should not be able to reverse the latch with the screwdriver no matter how hard you try. Only using the door handle should pop it back open. You may then have to back it out further to the "ready to latch" fully open position. I think the pawl doesn't withdraw until you "open" the door, the pillar loop retracts the pawl as the door is fully opened. You will probably have to use the screwdriver to pull back the pawl fully as you operate the door handle again. Think of those two steps occurring every time the door is opened and try to duplicate them. Once that pawl cannot be tripped from its fully latched position without using the door handle your problem should be fixed.

I'm guessing you have nearly lubricated this latch back to full operating level but not quite.

Just occasionally this problem can be caused by slight misalignment of the pillar loop and the door latch. Unless the door can be closed far enough inwards the latch will never reach the second fully locked position. Loose hinges, excessively hardened door seals or a misaligned pillar loop could cause your symptoms.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Are your external door handles dropping down as they should when you release them?

If these stick up, the doors won't latch.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a spring.

Thanks all,

I think it is the spring inside the door latch mechanism that returns the outer door handle latch back into position. The spring in the outer door handle itself seems fine.

Unfortunately, the spare mechanism I have has the same problem.

If I could find a replacement spring I could probably take it apart and replace - anyone done this? (I'm hoping that there is a similar spring in one of the other doors.)

Kerry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts