Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going through some of the things I've accumulated in the past few years and I've got a question about the little 90* 'gearbox' which opens/closes the door vent glass.

Evidently, this is a 'sealed for life' part, but like all these things the lubricant has probably dried out after 35+ years. Has anyone had one of these apart, and drilled and tapped the case to take a grease nipple? And if so, where is it safe to drill?

Or is this just pointless?

Alex.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
As the real experts haven't weighed in yet I'll throw in my 1.5 cents-worth. If it was my car I'd remove the little plug on the underside just right of the window pivot- seems to be at the meeting of the two gears where the lube is needed. Only trouble with that is it doesn't address removal of any hardened grease. Second option would be to grind off the rivets holding the unit together, give the whole thing a thorough cleaning, and bolt it back together. Downside to that is: how to treat any grease/weather seals on the shaft(s)...

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
Lubricating vent window gearbox

Alex:

The pair on my sprint were stiff, but not impossibly so. On my gearboxes, there was a large enough gap between the two halves to allow me to squirt in some oil. My reasoning was that light lubricating oil would dissolve the hardened grease a bit, and add some fresh lubricant. I then worked the input shafts back and forth, and sure enough, the gears loosened up.

I did look a those 3 rivets, and considered drilling them out. I don't see why you couldn't do that. I doubt there are any seals, or other complicated pieces in there that would make reassembly difficult.

Good luck with it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts