Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I need to replace my door check straps. A quick recce would indicate that I need to at least remove the top door hinge to do this, as you can't seem to access them from inside the door. Has anyone done this before? , if so can you please provide some tips.

:confused:
Wazza

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the top hinge. Once it's off, you'll see one or two split pins (roll pins) that retain the strap. From memory it's pretty clear once you have the hinge off. Getting the hinge off can be a problem though. Make sure you get the allen key hexes fully clean to the bottom, and use a good fresh allen key or socket that doesn't have any rounded corners, then make very sure that you keep the key fully bottomed in the hex while trying to turn out the screw.
At least my 2 quick cents.
Neil

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Neil,

From the looks of my Allen bolts it would appear that someone has previously tried without success. I'm not looking forward to this job.

Wazza.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I have replaced a number of Mk1 door straps without removing the hinge.
Remove the rollpin that secures the strap to the A pillar side of the hinge. The body (or housing) of the strap is bolted to the door with two M6 bolts. Remove these bolts and extract the housing. Replace the strap and reinstall.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Obviously I should stop trusting my memory ;)
Indeed, I was forgotting various points of how it was put together.
Clearer now after going down to the garage. Sorry for being misleading.
Neil

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi Wazza:

I'm with Papajam on this (who isn't?). You don't need to remove the hinge to replace the strap. I just want to add a couple of points to clarify when Papajam says to "extract the housing." On my 69, to get the housing out it had to be pushed back into the door. I couldn't simply pull it forward. This means that if your door has the upholstery panel on it, you need to remove the panel. After that, you will have to wind your hand through the various passages inside the door to get to where the back of the hinge is located so you can grab ahold of the housing. If you have kids, their little hands work great for this. My medium hands worked, but it hurt a little bit. Once you get the housing out, you can replace the pins and guides, and reinsert the same way.

Tim

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,

Thank you all for your input, this kind of advice is invaluable.

I now have new straps, pins & rollers in place. It would have been great to have a mechanically trained spider monkey to help.

On the downside, I did manage to put a chip in both doors whilst trying to remove the old straps. However this is positively the last time I will need to repair them.

Cheers,
Wazza.
:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sorry but this is not making sense to me. Even if you remove strap from within the door the opposite side (A pillar) peg would still need to be removed. Otherwise the strap would still be tethered. Please provide better instructions. Preferably with a pic or two.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Check out the Sorry but yet another hinge strap question again thread in the Recommended Reading. There are two types ,you need to establish which type you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts