Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been debated at length on here.

However I am about to embark on replacing the door seals on my 66 GT, and am intrigued as to why Classic Alfas seals are almost twice the price of Alfaholics. I appreciate CA are from the original manufacturers, but are they better/worth the extra expense? I can't imagine Alfaholics offer an inferior product.

Any insight appreciated

·
Registered
78 Posts
Its generally acknowledged that Cicognani are the best. They allow the door to close softer. CA sell these (I had a Cicognani label on the ones I bought) I cant be sure what AH sell.
I'm not sure if a '66 GT uses the Aluminium strips to mount them but I had success by ensuring that my 69 GTV had these strips pushed back relieving the pressure and also drilled multiple tiny holes to allow air escape.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
I can vouch that the current CA ones work great. If you check with Alfaholics and they have the same brand for cheaper go for it. Otherwise I'd spend the bucks for the Cicognani ones given the issues folks have had with other manufacturers over the years.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
You're right - it's an old problem. My 73 GTV was restored in 1993. Back then I bought a set of door seals from somebody,put them on and immediately discovered that the doors would not shut. (Oh you could shut them, if you took a running start and hit the door like a blocking sled but I concluded that this might take its toll on the door) This was right around the time Matt Jones started ReOriginals and he sold what he described as "GTA" type door seals. I bought a set and they fit very well. They were made by Cicognani. BTW- Cicognani advertises in the Alfa Owner. Do they sell direct? .

·
Super Moderator
11,693 Posts
BTW- Cicognani advertises in the Alfa Owner. Do they sell direct?
Cicognani most certainly sells direct. Like AH and CA they have a website (in English) that you can use to place an order. From my experience the product arrives quickly and accurately. See: http://www.cicognaniguarnizioni.it/Alfa-Romeo-100/gt-100-a55

That ad in "Alfa Owner" is from Motion Products Inc., who appears to be a Cicognani dealer in the US. I've never dealt with them, but from their web address (www.mpi-ferrari.com) my guess is that most of their business involves cars with horses rather than serpents on their badges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts