Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - given the success on the seat kit question seems like it is worth asking about door seal replacement options for my '72 Berlina. Good news that they seem available in Italy from Elvezio but $800+/- plus shipping is a bit eye watering.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! (much appreciated as a Berlina newbie)

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,852 Posts
There's a great thread in the sedan section on the different types of door seals. This is one case where paying for OEM is probably worth it, as the newer replacement doesn't seem to work nearly as well, even if it is much cheaper.

That being said, Alfaholics also lists the door trim.

Seems we are on similar paths. Although I'm still working on engine tuning before getting to the interior. Got pics of said Berlina?

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
Most of the Euro sources (Hurtienne, Haekner, OK Parts, others) have the trim. It's the same on Berlinas and Giulias, though the Berlina rear doors are a few inches longer.

Recall there is on-body trim and on-door trim, so you're looking at 8 seals in all. The on-body trim is no so critical, if it's somewhat close to original in looks and function. The on-door trim has to be pretty much exactly the right thing or, if to thin it won't seal, if too thick, you won't be able to close the doors or will bend the hinges trying. It's a unique seal I believe, with a non-typical cross section. Even some repro pieces are too firm, and you can't close the doors. Original Alfa material is quite soft and "foamy".

At one time Centerline had this stuff but I don't know if they do now.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,852 Posts
After reading the original thread I plan to yank the seals off the spare doors I have. I think it might be the most valuable part on the door.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After reading the original thread I plan to yank the seals off the spare doors I have. I think it might be the most valuable part on the door.
LOL Ian - funny observation.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
i have the reproduction seals on my berlina and they make the doors hard to open and close. dittos on oem

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
i have the reproduction seals on my berlina and they make the doors hard to open and close. dittos on oem
If you installed the seals without readjusting the doors at the hinges and striker plates, then they'll almost certainly make the doors harder to close. The hinge plates on Alfas are designed to provide a range of adjustment and, if properly done, your doors may close better. A friend's Super had that problem but now works much better with the doors adjusted.

Adjusting the door hinges/stryker places requires a bit of skill to get right. I you're unsure how to do this, I'd suggest you find someone, a good body shop or resto shop perhaps, with the expertise to adjust doors this way and let them do it. Although most people don't do it, the doors are adjustable. :)

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
After my Super was painted 10 years ago, I trimmed the on-door seals rather than messed with the fit of the doors, which was done by the body shop, fit well, looked right, and latched well. As a non-professional, you move the hinges and latches at your peril; there are a lot more wrong alignments than right.

I fit the seals, closed the doors as far as they'd go, and looked closely at where the interference was. Trimmed a bit with an X-acto knife, tried again til it was right. The toughest spots were at the "kink" at the front edge of the front doors by the kick plates. Now fits well, and doesn't leak. I used ReOriginal seals I bought 15 years ago, but they sure are pricey now.

Whenever I've parted out a Berlina I've always saved any good door seals.

Andrew

·
Registered
449 Posts
It is also a matter of wich quality repro seals you use, I always use Cicognani seals and had never any problems with it, they produce all seals themselves and have a very big variety of seals

Cicognani S.r.l - Guarnizioni per auto d'epoca - Home

For seat covers, headliners and carpets I always buy at Paolini, they makethem on demand in the original materials for a reasonable price

PAOLINI snc - Interni Auto

For example, I ordered the covers for both front and rear seat , in cloth with skai for a Giulia Biscione
€582,- including VAT and shipping to Belgium, quality is perfect and original materials

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - it is a huge help to know these options exist. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
This weekend a took a couple of photo of Laxman's Super's doors. The car was restored by Daron Walker/Vintage Customs and used, I presume, Alfaholics door seals. As delivered the doors were significantly harder to close than normal but didn't require the kind of hard slamming often reported. You just noticed that they took more effort. John had a professional spend some time (think hours) on adjusting the doors and the results are evident in the enclosed photos. The shut lines are perfect and, more importantly, the doors now close without undue effort. When compared to my Super's doors with original seals, the effort is a little harder but not by much: no slamming is required. I regard the adjustment to be very successful, IMHO.

There is, in fact, quite a lot of adjustment built into the design of Alfa's door hinges and striker plates. I've seen this sort of thing done and, if I had infinite time and patience, I could probably get it right. This is fettling of a high order and, if I ever put new seals on my Super, I'll take it to Sammy (the guy in Austin who fixed John's car) and let a professional do it.

A caveat. Not all doors fit the way God and Alfa intended, especially after 40 some years and possibly indifferent care. If, your car has replacement doors, or if there was crash damage at some point then all bets are off about ever getting the door and seals to fit right.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having just replaced the seals on my Super in recent weeks I have fresh eyes on sources and the problems. Ian is right there is a great thread about this, but you must read it carefully. I will assume the seals are the same for the Super and the Berlina; I don't know. I bought the Centerline seals and installed them. They do not work! I am told others carry the same product. It sort of looks like the OEM, but it is significantly different once you compare them side by side. They can be made to sort of work but at a significant price. Adjusting doors, if you are not doing it everyday, is not for the faint hearted and all for the wrong seals.

The right seals can be purchased at Elevezio Esposito for 119.70 Euros plus 26.10 euros shipping. I had them in 10 days. Their website is: Elvezio Esposito Tappezzeria Auto Epoca e Moderne

Trust me, it is the only way to go.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. What did Centerline say when you told them about the fit issue?

·
Premium Member
23,455 Posts
There's only so much these suppliers can do since they don't make the seals, they just sell them, though any good retailer will stand behind what they sell if it's not right.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fair enough - have found Centerline to be super to deal with, so surprised they wouldn't have a stance. (not doubting feedback on fit issues)

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I complained to Centerline they indicated they had "a lot of notes associated with these seals". Because I purchased them a few years ago they weren't inclined to do anything to appease me. After I received the right ones from Elvezio I was tempted to return them to Centerline with a sample of the real thing to make the point. I am happy to send you the Centerline seals for the price of postage, but I assure you they will not work without trimming and door adjustment and then very poorly. The Elvezio seals are truely to OEM specs. and cost just about the same money with shipment, around $200. Normally I have been happy with Centerline, but they dropped the ball on this one. I suspect most other European sources are getting them from Elvezio. If you like, I can send you a sample of each seal.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is really great info, thanks guys.

Appreciate the offer on the seals but trust you are right. Will eat bread and water for awhile to save for the good ones.

Any tips on actually fitting them?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts