Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you all - I have been away from this project as a new complication has arrived in the form of a 964 that I'm trying to get cleaned up. I will get back to this project soon and absolutely will post my findings.

·
Registered
11,807 Posts
Remember there were issues with door fit and closing when these cars were brand new!

The design of these cars has not changed so will continue to be an issue.

If I was Alfaholics or Classic Alfa, etc., I would design a seal that fitted over the spot weld seam (so the silly little channels could be binned*), like every other car, to resolve this issue permanently ... for those that don't care about originality. Alfa Romeo got the design of this area wrong. It is a failure then and still is. The only good thing about this design, is it showed Alfa Romeo and other manufacturers how NOT to design a seal/seal installation.
Pete
* this would require a redesign of the stainless steel sill trim, if owners still wanted this. I imagine a 2 piece design would work with a vertical fold lining up with the spot welded sill panel/chassis rail seam

·
Registered
173 Posts
Remember there were issues with door fit and closing when these cars were brand new!

The design of these cars has not changed so will continue to be an issue.

If I was Alfaholics or Classic Alfa, etc., I would design a seal that fitted over the spot weld seam (so the silly little channels could be binned*), like every other car, to resolve this issue permanently ... for those that don't care about originality. Alfa Romeo got the design of this area wrong. It is a failure then and still is. The only good thing about this design, is it showed Alfa Romeo and other manufacturers how NOT to design a seal/seal installation.
Pete
* this would require a redesign of the stainless steel sill trim, if owners still wanted this. I imagine a 2 piece design would work with a vertical fold lining up with the spot welded sill panel/chassis rail seam
What a great idea!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
+++1 Same story.
The desire for better GTV door seals is an ongoing saga. Search the forum and 25 pages of posts will pop up. There’s an abundance of information available on this topic. The Search function is your friend.

The recommended seal is manufactured by Cicognani, and IIRC are the original OEM part. It was the case 25 years ago when I replaced mine and still is today. The seals that Rus is referring to in this post are Cicognani’s. Regardless of who you choose as a vendor, be sure to ask who manufactures the seal. If they can’t tell you, buy elsewhere. If your doors don’t close reasonably well with Cicognani seals, there are likely other issues (door alignment, worn hinges, etc.).

If you don’t care about originality or a seamless seal, there are other options that have been discussed in the forum. This one was posted a few years ago: Door Gasket Seal - End all, Save all, Last resort Edition.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ducfan, Why don’t you post your question on the original post (OP) by Tehkyosho. This way, r-mm’s post doesn’t go off topic and Tehkyosho might reply as the OP‘er of for your question.

·
Registered
86 Posts
A bit of an update. Before I pulled the pin on getting a set of the softer, better fitting door seals, I pulled both the door cars off and the doors closed well. So it is the new door cards that are not fitting well. I re-fitted the cards and then, from inside the car, checked to see where/if they were hitting the seals. In both cases it was at the bottom. Based on advice from a well known restorer, I removed the staples from the base of the door cards and peeled back the vinyl and trimmed about 7mm off the ply/composite wood base. Re-glued the vinyl and re-fitted the door cards. Closes really well on the existing door seals.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Fitment of repro door cards is a well documented issue. The issue is the thick foam padding which prevents the door card from sliding all the way up under the top door trim. The fix is to peel back the trim from the top and remove a ~1/2” strip of foam. This will allow the door card to fit higher on the door, and better hides any trimming of the door card.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thought it might be Ken. Mine fit quite nicely under the top SS trim with a bit of pushing. There is also a beaded dress trim around the edge of the door card vinyl which adds insult to injury. I have no idea if that was an original fitment.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts