Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I bought door seals maybe.... 4 years ago? Truly can not recall which supplier, believe may have been AlfaService Germany. I have had them periodically on and off while fettling with other bits and am ready to make the final push to get my car all sealed in. I'm not saying the seals I have are definitively too thick but I do recall the utter joy that came with buying the "low profile" version of the trunk seal - it went from being something I Coooould in theory slam hard enough to latch to something that closed like a modern car.

Therefore before I start this most loathsome task of dialing in rubber and metal bits to make a nice seal, I'd like to have the best possible seals in hand.

What are those in 2019, almost 2020 (!)

Thanks and happy holidays all

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same question. My car, 74 GTV, has new door seals but the doors are ridiculously difficult to open and close. The pins are good and the doors seem properly aligned. I would change the seals if there is a better product available. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just ordered from classic alfa. See their blurb on latest and greatest. Will install this wknd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the same question. My car, 74 GTV, has new door seals but the doors are ridiculously difficult to open and close. The pins are good and the doors seem properly aligned. I would change the seals if there is a better product available. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
same here, my doors feel like they're stuck to the seals and i also have to slam the door closed hard to get it to shut right. if there are better seals i need them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anxiously waiting to hear a report on these gaskets. Just bought an Alfa myself with new gaskets all around and I am not particularly happy about how the doors and trunk fit...or the windshield for that matter. As other have indicated, it feels/looks like there is too much gasket in there. I watched the Vintage Customs videos about adjustment (and read about the cautions regarding their shop on this forum). Obviously, a gasket alone may not solve the issues.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy to share all my observations... but you guys need to help me with hardware before I can get these installed. I was trying to do the right thing and get metric sized sheet metal screws instead of using the closest approximation which would be a number four. Alfa specifies M2.9 in the parts manual so I ordered some. However they felt loose when going in and sure enough when I measure the original screws I get .115 inches. I am not really sure if metric screw sizes changed over the years or maybe this is not technically a sheet metal screw but some other bygone standard.

Anyone find a good replacement ?

IMG_3345.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a guess on my part, but there appears to be a tolerance on the outside diameter of an M2.9 thread (as well as the inside diameter), with the maximum allowed diameter at 2.90mm and the minimum at 2.76mm. When you take measurement instrument accuracy into account, I'd say both the M2.9 and the Alfa screw are within tolerance. The new screw is close to the bottom end while the "Alfa" screw at the very top of the tolerance range.

https://www.trfastenings.com/products/knowledgebase/self-tapping-screws/thread-geometry

As a side note, as industry has improved its manufacturing precision, they have found money in targeting the lower end of a specification. For instance, 316L stainless steel contains 2.0 - 3.0% molybendum and 10 - 14% nickel. Steel manufacturers used to target the middle of the range, but now have the ability to get a lot closer to the bottom end of the specification and still have meet their minimum quality specs. There is obviously money to be found here for the steel manufacturer, but it caused some surprises to end users who always expected their products to withstand specific environments.

I'm not a familiar with screws, but in this particular case, looking at the minor diameter, the difference in metal between the minimum and maximum spec is 8.7% in term of material.That is a significant difference is all you do is make screws.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Happy to share all my observations... but you guys need to help me with hardware before I can get these installed. I was trying to do the right thing and get metric sized sheet metal screws instead of using the closest approximation which would be a number four. Alfa specifies M2.9 in the parts manual so I ordered some. However they felt loose when going in and sure enough when I measure the original screws I get .115 inches. I am not really sure if metric screw sizes changed over the years or maybe this is not technically a sheet metal screw but some other bygone standard.

Anyone find a good replacement ?
Rus, If you’re referring to the screws that secure the gaskets, I used the smallest American size pan (or oval) head SS screws that would provide a good bite with the existing screw holes. Keep in mind that the existing screw holes are probably stretched oversized from new. So unless you’re starting with a restoration where the holes have been welded up, hole size will vary much more than any factory screw tolerances. Whatever screw you use, you‘ll want it to secure the channel as tight tight to the body as possible, compressing your strip caulking as thin as possible. The small head will not prevent the gasket from fitting the channel. Since the screw head is hidden by the gasket, the choice of the screw head type is a mater of preference. Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts