Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a set of pretty nice front door panels to replace the ones with crunched arm rests on my Milano. I'd like them to stay good as long as possible so fiber glassed the inside of the arm rests.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Windows were very slow going up and down, so removed the mechanisms. On the 1st one I ground off the tabs holding on the gear cover plate and cleaned up the stiff grease with brake cleaner. After seeing how that one worked, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the 2nd one and sprayed in brake cleaner, working the mechanism back and forth many, many times to dissolve the grease and get things moving freely again. The 1st one will be easy to regrease because everything is wide open and visible. I'll use it as a guide to put grease on the hole for the 2nd one, again working them both back and forth several times.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm missing several tabs for reattaching the panels. I have spares on the old panels, but unsure how to get them off or put them on the new panels. Looks to me like the holder and the tab both have to be replaced?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And, finally the drivers outer door handle broke. Fortunately I have a spare, but added a reinforcing pad to it before I out it on hoping to prevent a reoccurrence. While I'm this far along, I think I'll remove the passenger outer handle also and put a reinforcing pad on it also.

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
"Windows were very slow going up and down, so removed the mechanisms"

The windows in our Milano have always been slow from new. They are not as fast as the 164. They can fail because a couple of the plastic gear teeth break off or chew up, just like those in the 164. I think you did the right thing by regreasing them. Be sure to spray silicone spray on the rear vertical window tracks, as the glass is pushed back against it and can grab, increasing the motor/gear loading.

Yes, the outer latches can break (typical Alfa, of course), but can be repaired. I like your idea of being proactive by adding reinforcement.

I'm not sure i recognize those tabs, but it's been a couple of decades since I took a panel off.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
to reattach the plastic retainer thingies I used an epoxy, the 5 minute stuff. The inner and outer part can be put back together, it's fiddly but look at it and twist it in and it goes. U can also heat the pin in boiling water and and hope it gets soft enuff to push it up and thru the hole in the bottom before gluing. My old ones popped off with a utility knife blade but in your case almost anything will work since I assume you wont be reusing the panel itself. What are you greasing the stuff with? My 75 glass is fast compared to Rossa's!! I did find...the plastic had to be trimmed so the pin holes aligned with the holes on the door. The plastic meaning the clearish vapor barrier. ciao chris

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Fiber glassing the back sides is a good but make it better with some wood or dowel trimmed to size and glassed there vertically to support it better. Expanding foam is even better.
Conveniently, my crossovers for my component speakers matched the angles and sizes in there perfectly. Stuck in there really well, so they're out of the way AND supporting the arm rest shape.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
"Windows were very slow going up and down, so removed the mechanisms"

The windows in our Milano have always been slow from new. They are not as fast as the 164. They can fail because a couple of the plastic gear teeth break off or chew up, just like those in the 164. I think you did the right thing by regreasing them. Be sure to spray silicone spray on the rear vertical window tracks, as the glass is pushed back against it and can grab, increasing the motor/gear loading.
I wrote up a DIY on regreasing the window regulators a while back and posted it on my web site (Alfa Milano Registry - Window Regulator Regrease). Make sure to check out the side by side before/after video I put at the end. A HUGE difference!

Kevin

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw your write up Kevin and did one that way, except used brake cleaner to melt the hardened grease. The other one I drilled a hole and shot in brake cleaner and grease. They both zip up and down like crazy now.
I put the mechanism back in the doors and replaced the door panels today, but you know your a slob when you paint your wiper arms then can't find them or the hardware to put them back on:(

Attachments

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The problem with brake cleaner is it tends to make plastic brittle over time which is probably not great for the plastic gear in there. Hopefully they hold up.

Kevin

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was drained and allowed to dry out for a couple of days before regrease, so should be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
anyone else think it'd be fun if R2 found his wiper bits in the doors? They look great dude!! ciao jc

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You a sadistic man, Chris:) My shop hasn't been cleaned up in a couple of months...maybe it's time....

·
2015 Chevy (Holden) SS, 1989 Milano (Shankle Sport), 1991 164S
17,388 Posts
A lot of good stuff in that shop, though. I could help you 'clean' it, lol.

I've managed to put a tag on every Alfa part I have, what it is, whether or not it's good, etc, just in case, well, you know... Barb wouldn't have a clue otherwise. Plus I told her to contact Carlo concerning the cars if that time came.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts