Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 164L. I removed the drivers side door panel to repair the black "leather" that is shrinking and peeling away near the door lock pin. I used car disk and this forum, thanks. Any advice on: 1. how to reattach the "leather" back onto the fiberboard and into the moulking strip ? 2. two white plastic brackets on the back of the panel have cracks, one of the brackets has a slot that slides over a pin on the door, the other is a saddle that passes over the window vent duct, should I try to patch these brackets?

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Those plastic brackets are easily broken and are overkill anyway. I have not worried about my broken ones at all with no ill effects. Contact adhesive or 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive will work to re-attach the vinyl. Be very careful if you use Gorilla glue. That stuff is VERY hard to remove from anything it gets on, even using solvents. So I avoid using the stuff even though it will glue almost anything to anything.
Charles

·
Premium Member
27,385 Posts
I repair/reglue to door panel U-shaped hook at rear and bracket behind defrost donut with JB weld and let set overnight.

Shoe/Auto Goo works pretty well to reattach leather/vinyl pieces to backer board.

As for round locking rings to hold backer board with leather attached to door panel if you have old round pieces just use the Auto Goo on stem and ring.

Shoe/Auto Goo and duct tape and JB Weld are wonderful things to have near tool box.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just finished putting on the JB Weld. I put narrow strips of 0.010" aluminum for reinforcement in the JB at the bad crack areas. Glued the vinyl onto the fiberboard with Loctite Stik'N Seal. I have about 40 clothes pins holding vinyl in place. Hope it looks good tomorrow.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
shoe/auto goo?

Hi Steve - I'm always looking for the proper adhesive for various repairs etc. I have never heard of Shoe/Auto Goo but sounds great. I searched and found Shoe Goo (there are a few varieties). Is this what you mentioned and is there a variant you prefer?

·
Premium Member
27,385 Posts
Hi Steve - I'm always looking for the proper adhesive for various repairs etc. I have never heard of Shoe/Auto Goo but sounds great. I searched and found Shoe Goo (there are a few varieties). Is this what you mentioned and is there a variant you prefer?
Shoe Goo and Auto Goo pretty much same stuff me thinks. I get mine at auto parts store now so it says Auto Goo.

I even used it to glue some roof shingles back on my house the squirrels tore off.

Looks like what I used today is called Auto Goop.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The door panel is back in place, it looks great. Reinstallation was not easy. It was very difficult to push the panel into position. The rear plastic bracket tore off from the backing board board on the first attempt. The JB Weld did NOT break. I had to glue the bracket a second time and wait another day. I also cut away most of the sponge filler near this rear plastic bracket prior to the second attempt, I think the sponge was causing too much interference and preventing the panel from going into place.

Rick

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Like I said, don't worry about those white plastic brackets near the defrost hole, they really are not necessary. As for adhesives, you really need to use Automotive grade adhesives that can withstand the interior heat. It's best to use the right thing the first time, or you have to remove (if you can) what didn't work and then start over. What a time waster that can be. Most auto parts stores have the 3M products. The interior trim adhesive I like and actually works is orange-ish in color (though I now don't see it on their website).
Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts