Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding, IAP is the only one who has the correct door clips. They have been out of stock for a while. If someone else sells them, please let me know.

I have cleaned up and fixed my door panels and are missing a few.

Anyone have 3-4 extras they want to sell?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
If you search around, there is a thread detailing alternatives. I used VW clips. Had to snip of a corner to get them to go in, but they work fine. I think I paid $15 for 50 of em.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You sometimes see such plastic clips for sale on ebay. Probably at inflated prices. Do a search on ebay using "Alfa Romeo Door Panel"

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Hi Gary,

It's my belief that two different types of clips were used to secure the fiber board door panels to the holes in the interior sheet metal of the doors, at least on the S3 Spiders.

To begin with, special white plastic clips were used to hold the upper sections of the panel in place. Those clips are very hard to find (as you have discovered), but I was able to source some on ebay (as Robert suggested), and later I found that Alfaholics in the U.K. carries them:

Plastic Door Panel Clip - S4 - Classic Alfa Romeo spare parts

Secondly, a metal, scissor-tip design was used on all of the lower holes (and possibly some of the side holes). The tip extensions on the metal ones are offset from where the actual hole in the door panel is located. In other words, if you placed one of the bare fiberboard door panels up against the door, you would see that some of the holes in the panel (the ones along the bottom edge and a few on the sides) don't line up perfectly with the holes in the door. This anomaly requires that the "offset" style of metal clip be used in those locations.

The metal door panel clips that Alfa used look like the ones shown in these ebay links:

Fiat 500 600 Door Panel Clip Metal New | eBay

Ferrari 250 Maserati Mistral Door Trim Panel Clips Set | eBay

Finally, in those positions where the metal scissor-type offset clips are used, a small thin white rubber cap/boot/grommet should get installed into the mating door hole first. You can see some of these little white caps in the ebay listing above for the Ferrari/Maserati metal scissor clips. I was able to get some new ones from Chris at Highwood Alfa.

I believe the intent of these small white rubber caps is to (a) serve as a "bushing" between the metal of the door and the metal of the clip, or (b) a "seal" to prevent rain water passing inside the door from getting out to attack the door skins, or (c) minimize rust (or all three).

Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I found in my door after I removed the door panel:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edward,

It is the white plastic ones I need. I already bought new lower metal ones and the inserts.

Thanks for the Alfaholics tip.

I found some on eBay. I never think to go there. I have only bought 3 things from eBay ever.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
There is some good info and pics in this thread. I bought some a few years ago from an auto body supply that looked like these one and worked well. I'll see if I still have the box that I can grab a part number off.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/166281-door-panel-clips-metal-ones.html

Yes, sometimes those wickedly overpriced used ones come up on ebay and I wouldn't take them for free because they would likely be just as brittle as the ones that broke in the first place.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, sometimes those wickedly overpriced used ones come up on ebay and I wouldn't take them for free because they would likely be just as brittle as the ones that broke in the first place.
Good point. They were original stock. With shipping it would have been $5.50 each for 5.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
The ones I bought were Auveco P/N 13475. The portion of them that press into the door are a little different (finned), but worked ok. If I recall correctly, I paid about $10 for a box of 50.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I found some on eBay. I never think to go there. I have only bought 3 things from eBay ever.
You are probably better off NOT going to ebay. They, and their owned affiliate paypal are the biggest crooks on the internet. BUTTT, sometimes there is no other alternative. D__M!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The ones I bought were Auveco P/N 13475. The portion of them that press into the door are a little different (finned), but worked ok. If I recall correctly, I paid about $10 for a box of 50.
Hi Mike,

where did you order those from? I am unfamiliar with Auveco.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts