Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which mirror was original equipment on a 1971 1750 Spider? Was it the round one or the slightly rectangular one? Were they the same US vs Euro cars? Thanks experts :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
The rectangular ones were used on the '71's and onward. The round ones were last used on the '69 spiders. I believe these were still dealer installed in '69, so there may have been some exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Personally I like the look of the rectangular one, so if it's still appropriate (for originality), would be my first choice.

...anyone have an extra in good condition willing to part with? Pm me please.

·
Registered
1969 Alfa Spider 1750 veloce.
1,051 Posts
According to Chris Rees book the 70/71 kamms had round mirrors. I thought that the rectangle ones came out around 73...FWIT I prefer the round, and ps red ones are faster....

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question, does anyone know if the mounting holes are the
'same' for either mirror? Can you mount either one without drilling any additional holes in the door?

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 69 spider (originally delivered in 1970) had rectangular mirrors when I bought it used in 1979. I switched to round mirrors a few years ago and the mounting holes were the same.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My 69 spider (originally delivered in 1970) had rectangular mirrors when I bought it used in 1979. I switched to round mirrors a few years ago and the mounting holes were the same.
Thanks for the information everyone, really helpful :)

You wouldn't happen to have one of those spare rectangular mirror in decent shape? I may go with repro if nothing surfaces soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll pull out my rectangular mirrors to take a look, but I don't think they are anywhere close to like-new and may have some pitting in the chrome on the base.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The round conical Alfa mirror that came on my 67 Duetto was NOT chromed either. Painted silver, about the shade and texture of the wheels.

The ad material of the day did show a single driver's mirror mounted on the Duetto.

Very popular in the late 60's was the Talbot bullet-style "racing" mirrors. There was one available with a wide-angle mirror, which could be mounted on either side of the car.

Robert

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for the information everyone, really helpful :)

You wouldn't happen to have one of those spare rectangular mirror in decent shape? I may go with repro if nothing surfaces soon.
I've got a rectangular mirror I was going to put on Ebay. I don't know enough about the differences between repro and nos to tell which it is. I probably got it off ebay a few years back and then went with round mirrors to backdate my non-original car.

Let me know if you want it and we'll sort something out.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've got a rectangular mirror I was going to put on Ebay. I don't know enough about the differences between repro and nos to tell which it is. I probably got it off ebay a few years back and then went with round mirrors to backdate my non-original car.

Let me know if you want it and we'll sort something out.

Exactly what I am looking for, I will pm you, thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there a better way to replace the old side mirror without having to take the door panel apart? Also if i do have to take the door panel apart for a 1977, what should i be watching for? Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I figured it out, the left side was easy to change but the right side mirror, I have to take the door panel apart which is very easy to do. I glued the nut for the side mirror onto the inner medal side so that it will not required removal of the door panel to replace the mirror in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts