Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Don't know if anyone has ever had a door lock jammed but I have twice, both within the last 2 years.
The symptom is unable to lift the unlock button while door handles ineffective (inner and outer) at releasing the door.
The first time it happened I ended up destroying the door card to access the lock. The second time the door card was already off any by now knew how to sort it, a 2 second job with a finger in the right place.

The first time it happened a friend was pushing the door closed while holding up the outer door handle, which seems to have confused the system/
The second time, I just unlocked the car one day and the lock was jammed - central locking going crazy up and down, unable to complete either operation.

What ever the actual cause, could even be bits of the perished inner rubber rain cover of the lock itself causing an internal 'stick', have isolated the culprit causing the jam. This is the part I slid a finger under to effect the release.

Now being somewhat paranoid of it happening once the spare door card is on, have gone for a modification, as pictured; which is subject to further modification. Depending on where can mount the emergency release cable to pull the culprit up, might drill a new position further round. Either way, hope the pics give the general idea and will update once finalised.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After writing my original idea, I decided not to bother with the mods and reassembled a door in the normal way. While I had the door open, door card on, I used a torch base the same diameter as the lock pin pn the body and the lock jammed. If the door had been closed against the body it would have meant cutting out the door card. As it was I managed to unscrew everything and then dropped in my modified lock. Have since done the same with the other front door and both front doors have emergency release cables in their pockets.
In almost 20 years of 164 ownership, same car, this has only become an issue of late. Maybe something is age perishing and jamming the locks now. I don't know. Am confident the emergency cable idea will cure any such jams.
The cable itself was fed to the car inner by drilling asmall hole in the door card, so it came through where the door pocket is and can be hid beneath it. In normal use, it is all invisible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts