Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I got out of the car, I let the door close by itself and locked it with the remote. When I went back, neither handle would work.

The key barrel works and the actuator also works.

Some months ago I pushed the door striker in so it sealed better (sometimes I had a drip from the door seal). I pushed on the door really hard in case it hadn't locked fully (I read the post about the lock having a four position latch, from fully open to fully closed).

Both handles feel the same with the actuators locked or unlocked.

It seems that the lock is in the locked position and that the lock pin and solenoid have no effect on it: no matter what, the lock mechanism remains locked.

I looked down through the seal and all I can see is a yellow pin where the locking pin seems to attach to. It moves up and down. There's a piece next to it that seems like it could be an arm from the lock that's broken.

So, how can I get the door open so I can remove the door card? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

I've been looking down the window seal and I can see the yellow pin where the lock pin is connected to. That seems normal.

I also saw that the exterior handle moves some sort of block on the inside of the door but I can't see or feel any rod that's connected to it. Is it possible that both handles share a linkage that has dropped off or broken off? Are there any pictures of the lock linkages?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOLVED (almost)!

Getting the door to open was a matter of disassembling the armrest and pulling the inside window seal upwards and to the side. Down the glass, there's a large metal tab that's where the door handles connect to.

I just had to push it down and operate the door lock.

Inside the lock, there's a spring that pushes on the locking piece. I lost that spring and spent some furious time looking for it until I realized I wouldn't need it: the arm where the handle linkages connect to has it's own spring that resets it to the unlocked position. That spring broke in my fingers (everything inside the lock was either rusty or packed with grit).

From this moment on I'm looking for a lock locally.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts