Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll include some back story as it may turn out to be relevant to my problems.

Last week I acquired a '91 164 L. Everything worked fine for a few days until the battery drained (I left something on). I went to unlock the door and naturally got no power locks, but they key turned the lock fine. That's when I found out that the alarm was activated. Since I don't have the key to deactivate the alarm in the trunk, I unplugged the connector for it. Closed the driver's door, locked it and charged up the battery. After putting the freshly charged battery back in, I found that I couldn't unlock the driver's door. The other doors unlocked fine while the knob on the driver's door went up halfway and then stopped.

The door also won't open using either the outside handle or the inner handle. I pushed the lock all the way down and all the other locks followed. pushed the button on the center console to unlock and all the doors unlocked aside from the driver's door which got stuck halfway again. Tried manually pulling the knob, turning the key, banging on the outside of the door and got nothing. I was able to get the upper door panel removed far enough so that I can get my hands in there and work the mechanism. No matter what I do, I can't find a way to push the lock all the way up or open the door. I have unplugged the lock solenoid and still can't pull it all the way up. I have also removed the retaining clip for the key lock so that it is free to move around so that's ruled out. Since I'm unable to open the door, I can't take the mechanism out to check it. Something definitely feels bound up, but I can't find out where, or find any other way of opening the door. I've looked through a few other threads and found some info, but unfortunately, none of it has solved my problem.

Naturally, the problem has compounded itself. I'm unable to pull the hood release lever to release the hood. it is completely unmovable. After some tinkering, I was able to manually release the latched that hold the hood down, yet the hood release lever still won't budge. The cable doesn't feel like it's bound up anywhere in the engine compartment.

I'm out of ideas to try. I took it to my trusty Alfa mechanic who also didn't have any ideas. And so I turn to the internet. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Sounds like "hairpin" spring in door lock sticking or broken. It needs to flip over to finish unlocking door lock mechanism. If you got upper inner panel off partway remove screw inside rubber donut defrost and remove small screw in triangle behind mirror mount area and try to get panel all the way off. works easier to remove with window down.

Then raise window and try lift rubber rain guard over latch mechansim and see if you can spray hair spring area near top with WD-40 and try again.

As for hood lever being frozen cable must be frozen inside cable housing or maybe trapped/pinched by air cleaner latches holding it captive by top half of air cleaner box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update, door is fixed!

Thanks for the reply, it helped give me some ideas, one of which worked. Since I'm sure this will happen again to someone, I thought I'd update this post to mention what worked.

The issue was that the main latch mechanism which is operated by the outer door handle was not pushed back to its home position which in turn prevented the latch actuator which is operated by the inner door handle to return to its home position. When this happens, the lock will not disengage.

In my case, the mechanism would not move back with any amount of reasonable force. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and let it soak for an hour. I was able to push a long flat bladed screwdriver against the main latch and used some unreasonable force (hammer) to push it back. After a couple whacks, I pulled the lock rod up and the door unlocked. From there the door opened just fine. For now, until I get a chance to take it apart and clean everything, I disconnected the lock from the solenoid so that this won't happen again by accident.

As for the hood, I was able to open it by pulling the cable from underneath the car. The lever is still stuck, but that's a job for another day. A pull cord attached to the middle of the cable opens the hood for the time being.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts