Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's found a source for good Door Limit Straps?

I'm not even done putting my 67 Duetto back together and the reproduction Limit Strap on my driver's door has failed.

I'd spend good money on an NOS one if I could find any. The reproduction parts that I have are not the same materials/construction as the original parts.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
Jeff
Did you orientate it correctly? There is a right and left, up and down. If installed incorrectly it will bend the wrong way. Ask how I know? You can also buy the strap and rollers and rebuild yours. Hope you find this helpful.
Cheers, Jon

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
I used the Classicalfa repair kit. So far so good. Every Spider I have taken has bad limit straps. The design used on GTV's is much improved but sadly not interchangeable.
Cheers, Jon

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff
Did you orientate it correctly? There is a right and left, up and down. If installed incorrectly it will bend the wrong way. Ask how I know? You can also buy the strap and rollers and rebuild yours. Hope you find this helpful.
Cheers, Jon
Well, I did make sure I put the second one in in the same orientation as the first one. I guess that means I could have done it wrong twice.

Here's a photo of the broken part. I took the picture so that I won't flip things around.

The problem with the part I have on the Driver's Side right now is the material it's made of. Its a hard plastic that has very little (if any) give to it. Rather than the rollers being rather easily pushed out of the detent when the door is closed, they bind and cause significant stress in the strap as they try to roll out of the detent. To lessen the force, I did sand off most of the raised cross-section. But it will probably break again in the area with the smallest cross-section.

Thank you for all the responses.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I did make sure I put the second one in in the same orientation as the first one. I guess that means I could have done it wrong twice.

Here's a photo of the broken part. I took the picture so that I won't flip things around.
View attachment 1632576

The problem with the part I have on the Driver's Side right now is the material it's made of. Its a hard plastic that has very little (if any) give to it. Rather than the rollers being rather easily pushed out of the detent when the door is closed, they bind and cause significant stress in the strap as they try to roll out of the detent. To lessen the force, I did sand off most of the raised cross-section. But it will probably break again in the area with the smallest cross-section.

Thank you for all the responses.
Hi -
I'm afraid you installed the strap up side down. That is why it bent. Try flipping it 180* on the passenger side. I have some pictures on my phone but am having problems posting them. I'll try again later.

- Drew

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
This may help. My '67 Spider driver door installed and a spare driver door.
Cheers, Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is it possible to install a new strap and rollers without removing the door hinge? I also installed a replacement from ClassicAlfa for my 1967 GTV that broke very quickly. I'd like to try again but don't want to deal with removing the door.

thanks
1967GTV

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the door to replace the limit strap.I have a 71 GTV and simply removed door card,Tapped retaining pin out of limit strap -from above,Attached a long piece of cord through he holes of the limit strap, undid the 2 screws holding limit strap unit from door hinge and dropped the whole unit down and removed it from below.I then undid cord repaired limit strap, reattached cord and pulled it up to door hinge and reattached.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
12,182 Posts
I bought NOS for my car back in the day. They look and feel just like the reproduction straps that are available. That means, they are just as crappy. See this post for some pictures:

Once the straps are installed in the correct orientation and hooked to the hinge, it's a real good idea to close the door very, very slowly. While so doing, use your index finger to pull on the strap because it will bend. Rock the door back and forth to get the rollers free. Don't let got of the strap until you feel the strap sort of pop through the rollers. Do not just install the strap and slam the door. They need to be worked a bit before you can do that.

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
I guess it just depends on the lot that you get them from. I have experienced none of these issues. I either got them from Centerlinealfa or Classicalfa but they are smooth enough to close the door with no effort. I did use lithium white grease during the initial installation..
There are two positions when opened 1) open no lock in place and 2) open and locked in place the second notch.
Cheers, Jon

Reactions: Norseman50
1 - 12 of 12 Posts