Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the above vehicle and I do not have any keys to the driver or passenger doors. I had a few questions...
1) Is the trunk lock key ( which I also do not have) the same as the door keys?
2) does anyone know where I can get some key blanks for the doors? Once I get the blanks, can a locksmith then cut them to match the existing door locks? Is this difficult to do? The car is completely original and I do not want to replace the door locks if possible. thanks in advance..

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
I recently had this done on my 74' S2 spider, yes the lock smith can cut the keys.
I took my door handle with the lock in it to my local lock smith and a few days later he had keys for me using a generic blank.
He pulled out a key book while I was there and to my surprise, my car was in it. It said what style blanks were used for my particular car. Im not sure about S1's but S2's have more than one possible style of key blank and I gather only one is right.
If you are looking for original looking door keys and dont know the original key code, have a generic set cut then take the new key to figure out which key blank is the appropriate one for your key code (which the lock smith can give you, I now have mine), track down the style on eBay (only place Ive seen them) then take the blank back to the locksmith.

Its not very expensive, you'll spend more on getting an original key blank than getting a key set cut. I had to get two sets of keys, one for my glove box and one for my doors. I think I paid around $60 or so, or $30 per set.

The trunk lock key is supposed to be the same as the doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently had this done on my 74' S2 spider, yes the lock smith can cut the keys.
I took my door handle with the lock in it to my local lock smith and a few days later he had keys for me using a generic blank.
He pulled out a key book while I was there and to my surprise, my car was in it. It said what style blanks were used for my particular car. Im not sure about S1's but S2's have more than one possible style of key blank and I gather only one is right.
If you are looking for original looking door keys and dont know the original key code, have a generic set cut then take the new key to figure out which key blank is the appropriate one for your key code (which the lock smith can give you, I now have mine), track down the style on eBay (only place Ive seen them) then take the blank back to the locksmith.

Its not very expensive, you'll spend more on getting an original key blank than getting a key set cut. I had to get two sets of keys, one for my glove box and one for my doors. I think I paid around $60 or so, or $30 per set.

The trunk lock key is supposed to be the same as the doors.
Thanks much for the reply. Stupid question but would a mobile locksmith be able to do this on site (i.e. in my garage). I really don't want to have to remove the entire handle if I can help it. Thanks!

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
11,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Depends on the key blanks. If you have the correct blanks then I would think they could cut it. I do not have personal experience with a mobile locksmith, I took my locks to an old timey guy who has been doing this for the last 40-50 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts