Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 105 GTV 2000 (1974) Australian delivered Alfa appears to have 2 different types of doors - no doubt one was changed after an accident or the like. One has a door triangular rubber buffer while the other does not. The steel is also shaped differently on each door. One door has two stamped indentations while the other door (that is, the one without the rubber buffer) has three.

My guess is that the door with the triangular rubber buffer is for GTVs while the one without is from earlier GTs.

Is this correct? Does anyone have an authoritive source they could refer me to.

I'm in the process of organising a bare metal rebuild and I'm thinking of changing one door to make my car original again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
That seems right to me. My Dec 66 GTV (US) looks like your left door. Have you been inside them yet? Do both have cable window lifts, or one have the parallel arms (early) and the other cables (late)?
Andrew

·
Registered
380 Posts
That is right. I know that the US 1974s have intrusion beams in the doors for safety. They are very heavy. The rubber is late model. Does your car have aluminum receivers in the jambs.

!972 US GTV

IMG_3761.jpeg IMG_3678 2.jpeg

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
My 66 does not have the delta alignment tabs, if that's what you mean.
Latch pieces on door and jamb are all steel.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
The one with a wedge would be a later door, there was a cast receiver to accept the wedge on the door jam. My 74 GTV US spec car has them as does my 75 Giulia Nuova Super, at one time I was told it was a US mandated safety item, but with them installed on my Euro spec Super, definitely invalidates that claim. Just a product improvement?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it would seem my left hand door (the one without the wedge) is not original to my car while the right hand door likely is. I can source an original good quality left-hand door for 2.5K but I wonder if a prospective buyer with a buying emphasis on originality would care that much, hard to know.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can get a near perfect one for 1.8K AUD which is better but still seems high to me

·
Premium Member
21,808 Posts
Yeah, in the US I'd think a few hundred dollars, but I don't now the Australian market.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Quite interestingly, my 1600 GTV has the opposite problem; Standard, early, scissor-window door on the left (with three pressings) later, 2-pressings door on the right, with cable wheel(s?) attached, no sign of delta locating rubber, tho. It’s been modified to take the scissors by welding on a couple of washers to the lower left opening, and a bit of a rough cutout for the slightly different winder mechanism. There are rust perforations where the door bottom meets the door seal rubber.

Maybe there’s an opportunity here for some Ernie-and-Bert-style cooperation...?
The locating holes in the bottom left opening need to be @92mm apart to attach the scissor mechanism. Holler if interested.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, in the US I'd think a few hundred dollars, but I don't now the Australian market.
Products are usually more expensive in Australia - a new door skin would cost $270 so any door in reasonable condition would certainly be more, although 1.8K is a lot for a door nontheless. I may have to fork out the cash whether I like it or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts