Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just installed new door hinge pins and bushings on my 1750 and now my doors are not aligned correctly anymore. :confused: Did they ever use hinge shim plates from the factory behind the door hinges? Should I shim them? I don't want just shim them with anything, I would prefer to use the correct shims if they used them.

Any input would be much appreciated, Thanks! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have some original alfa shims for the 105 series, cant recall now about what models. Is it possible to tell me the exact part number of these?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
DIY door shims

Dead easy to make!

Trace your hinge on a piece of sheetmetal, cut it out, and grind 2 wide enough horizontal slots (from the outside) to pass along the bolts, and you're done.

That's exaclty how the Alfa ones are...

But can't you just fiddle around with the position of the hinge to align your door again?

As the old hinge was worn, it would probably made the door hang "lower" at the B pillar as it does now.
1 millimeter change (i'm Euro, so metric) at the A pillar is about 5 at the B

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I appreciate the input! I think they may have removed the top shims over time as the hinge bushings got worn down. If I start to loosen the top hinge bolts and keep the bottom ones tight, the door sits aligned at the all the gaps. It obviously tells me it needs some shimming in the top hinge.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Isn't there a possibility to move the top hinge just a fraction "inwards" and still have the doorskin in line with the front wing? Bij moving it a tad to the inside it will drop quite a bit at the bottom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do any of you guys have any pictures of the these shims? I would like to make sure that mine are kinda accurate to the factory ones. That would really be appreciated!

·
Registered
801 Posts
If the car left the factory with shims I suspect they were not "factory" but more "oh, that doesn't fit right, we'd better grab some sheet metal and make a shim". Attached is a page from my '67 Junior parts book, no sign of any shims. I reckon JCDK's advice is about as "factory" as it gets.

Sorry it doesn't answer your question, hopefully it just makes you feel better about there being no real answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the question. My 105 Duetto hinges are fully adjustable:

1. Bolts from hinge to body at the A-pillar adjust top and bottom in-out alignment.

2. Bolts from hinge to door adjust lift of front of door, fore-aft position, and rear sag.

Just loosen the correct bolts with the door fully supported, make a small adjustment, check alignment.

No shims needed.

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts