Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on door hardware R&R. This is because the door handles on my ‘89 Graduate do not work from the outside. The driver side works like it should, it just doesn't open the door (key works just fine). The passenger side handle is stuck open just a bit. The door handles on the inside work just fine.

Anyone had any experience with this? I’m hoping it’s just an adjustment. Any experiences/advice would be greatly appreciated.-M5

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
FWIW, the outside door latch on the passenger side of my '76 was "locked" when I bought it - that is, it would not budge. I opened the door card and jiggled a round with the linkage, and voila! a pivot point on the mechanism had over-extended, locking it in place. I put it straight and it's worked great ever since. So, it might be worth the trouble to just open the door card and take a peek.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had same problem last year. It became very difficult to operate from the outside on the drivers door, and the passenger side locked. I didn't realize that it was locked LOL, but it had been hard to open from new, also. I removed the door cards and sprayed WD40 on everything that moved and worked the latches. My doors are still very smooth today when opening the door handles.

If you door is a little ajar when closed, that may be a striker issue. Check the parts in the door sill for broken pieces.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am frustrated!!

I pulled the door card and got a look at the assemblies. It was missing a couple of nuts and had a loose one so I got and installed some.

It still does not work though. I'm taking the liberty to include a pic from Luscombe1940 to show what I am seeing.

The inside door handle works. I can see it pull on the mechanism in the top left of the above pic. When I try the outside door handle, I can see the assembly on the top right push a piece from the top middle to the left. It does not strike anything, however.

I've toyed around with this thing for hours trying to adjust it but I've had no luck in finding anything and no clue how it should work.

If anyone has more experience with this it would be greatly appreciated. I have everything that you see in the pic but it does not seem to line up.

Thanks in advance-M5

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
M5,

It has been a year or two since I worked on the handles. I recall having one that didn't work well from the outside. I could see a piece moving when the handle was pulled but it didn't displace the other piece enough to open the latch.

It is a pain to get them in and out but what I remember doing was removing the entire assembly, cleaning very well and then lubricating all of the pivot points. Reassembled and then had to make some minor bends I think to get the displacement required to unlatch the mechanism.

If you have movement when you pull up on the outside latch, there is a piece that will strike the mechanism at an odd angle and it has to push that enough to unlatch it. See if you can figure out which piece should strike the other. Try it with your fingers and or a screw driver so you know what has to happen to open the latch and then look at how to make sure it strikes it where it should.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
We are in the middle of a move to permanent residence and all of my Alfa stuff is in boxes and any sorting out/tuning of Allegra is on hold until we move and unpack

You are into it this far and if you preserver and figure out how it is supposed to work, you will be able to fix it. Pull the card on the other door and see if you can understand how that one works.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my Alfa: the passenger door latch was stuck open about 1" or so, but would work from the inside.

I found that when some of the components either get loose or develop play with wear, when the outside handle is 'hyper-extended' (someone yanks on it way too hard), the actuator will push around the edge of the plate, and grab it.

Right:

Wrong:

It's easy to correct, just reach up with your hand and push on the plate; the actuator will snap back into position. This happens to me about once a year. The next time I have my door handle off, I'm going to adjust (i.e. bend) or otherwise modify the actuator a bit to hopefully prevent this from reoccurring.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I had the same problem when I bought my Alfa: the passenger door latch was stuck open about 1" or so, but would work from the inside.

I found that when some of the components either get loose or develop play with wear, when the outside handle is 'hyper-extended' (someone yanks on it way too hard), the actuator will push around the edge of the plate, and grab it.

Right:

Wrong:

It's easy to correct, just reach up with your hand and push on the plate; the actuator will snap back into position. This happens to me about once a year. The next time I have my door handle off, I'm going to adjust (i.e. bend) or otherwise modify the actuator a bit to hopefully prevent this from reoccurring.
That is the part that I was trying to explain. I had to bend the tabs a bit to get the right amount of displacement.
Great photo!
Thanks,

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bless you !!

Thank you both!

That is very helpful.

With neither working properly I hadn't a good working example. This gives me something to work with-M5

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
Lube the crap out of the door handle and latch assembly on the inside with spray white lithium grease. That will cure 90% of outside door latch problems. Also check and make sure all your latch screws are there and tight. These are the ones on the outside of the door around the latch. After lubing twist door latch and pull outside handle several times before closing door.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
That is the part that I was trying to explain. I had to bend the tabs a bit to get the right amount of displacement.
Great photo!
Thanks,
Hi Gary,

I have the difficult to open handle as well.

My tab is worn and bent almost all the way back on to itself.

How much did you bend it back? 90 degrees?

Thanks for any help.

Vin

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Driver Side Hardware out!

Driver side hardware is out. It is greasy and does work with a bit of cajoling out of the car.

I've attached pics from all angles to let the experts see if everything appears as it should. Please let me know if any of you see anything out of place or missing.

I'll clean and try to bend as needed. What's the best thing to clean them with? I'm thinking a combination of brake parts cleaner and kerosene.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to figure out process...

I have everything cleaned up and shiny. It took a little bit of kerosene, about a half a can of brake parts cleaner and a whole lot of compressed air!

I am able to see how the inner mechanism opens the door. It basically "pulls" the latch open.

It appears that for the outer mechanism, it should "push" the latch open. However I can see no point where that may happen. It does not appear that there are any missing or worn out pieces.

Can anyone with previous experience provide any guidance as to where to look? It is greatly appreciated.

I am going to attempt to pull out the passenger side innards, as they appear to have more of the "door handle slightly open" symptom from post #7. If that is indeed the case I may be able to see how a proper inner mechanism operates.

On the odd chance that my inner mechanism (see pic) is fragged, does anyone know where a (new) replacement can be obtained?

Thanks in advance...M5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hi Gary,

I have the difficult to open handle as well.

My tab is worn and bent almost all the way back on to itself.

How much did you bend it back? 90 degrees?

Thanks for any help.

Vin
Vin,
I think i bent it just a bit to keep them in contact. Maybe 10 - 15 degrees.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Passenger door was what I thought...but!!

So I took apart the passenger door and indeed it was suffering from the condition in picture 2 on post 7 of this thread.

I "unstuck" the mechanisms and now I have the same issue that I have on the drivers side. The outer door handle pushes on the mechanism, but it seems no amount of pushing can open the door.:cursing::cursing:

Using the inner door handle easily pulls the mechanism open. I'll just have to figure out what combination of pushing from the outer handle has the same results. :detective:

I will keep you posted. If any Alfisti have experience with such matters any and all clarifications and guidance will be greatly appreciated.:helpsmilie:

As always Thanks-M5

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a very similar issue a few years ago, no amount of lubrication or pulling would help open the latch and the mechanism all looked okay. In the end it turned out one of the screws that attaches the opening mechanism to the door (the one closest to the outside of the car if I remember correctly) was blocking the mechanism from fully opening (just protruding by maybe 0.5mm to far into the door). In the end I just put a thin washer on the outside; problem solved, and with all the grease I added the door now opens effortlessly.

Stephen

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where to look................

After fiddling with this mechanism off the car (as well as the same problem with the mechanism on the car) I made a little video plea for help to all Alfisti who may be able to add some wisdom/guidance.

I've not found anything that seems out of line, but the "push" mechanism of the outer door handle just will not open. The "pull" portion from the inner door handle bar works just fine.

Question 1- Although everything seems to be in order, can anyone suggest where the particular fault may lie?? I don't seem to be missing any springs and nothing seems to be worn out of line.

Question 2- If I cannot repair these, is there a place I can get replacements besides a scrap yard or APE? It seems new ones may be made of unobtanium from the usual sources.

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance-M5

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe so.............

Did you solve your problem?
I believe so. I had a wonderful conversation with Larry @ APE and I've now 2 replacements sitting on my workbench. They both work just fine from the "push" as well as "pull" function. I can see no difference from the original and cannot see what has worn away on the original.

I've not yet been able to install yet as my youngest son has been hospitalized for the past 2 weeks. "Vincenzo" (as my wife calls our '89 Grad) has fallen several notches down on our list of priorities as of late.

I'll update all when I have completed the R&R and can enter from the outside with the windows closed.

Thanks-M5

1 - 20 of 23 Posts