Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just purchased/received a pair of (exterior) door handles for my 75/Milano. I had selected 'rear' handles, and plan to also buy new front handles.

Looking at the product, firstly the packaging says 'anteriore', and the two are exactly the same. I am under the impression (as confirmed on ePer, with different part numbers), that the rear handles are different, left and right; the front handles are the same, left and right, but different to the rear.

How do the front, rear left, and rear right handles differ? I'm hoping someone either has photos or a good description. It would save me having to strip my doors tomorrow to find out (I don't intend to fit the new ones for several months).

Attached is a photo of what I received. The two handles look exactly the same.

I have messaged the Seller. There should be no probs, because they sell front and rear handles. I just need to confirm what I have, so I can order the matching pair.

:)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fronts are the same for both doors, rears are different to left and right cheers Jason
Joe makes good rubber gaskets too.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm aware of all of that already. ;)

What is the difference? I'm trying to confirm whether I have rear or front handles without having to crack open my doors to check. Not being lazy - just lack time! ;)

If indeed rear L/R are different to each other, I must have fronts, cos they look exactly the same. Unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fronts have centre pin ( bar in centre) rears have to one side left and right, l off to bed late now in melbourne cheers jason

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, Jason; that's the info I wanted. :)

It's not even 11pm! (I live down past Geelong)

Here's another pic. From your description, I must indeed have two front handles, right? And as such, sent the wrong pair.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
I have a rear handle, part number 151 00 73 043 00. How can I tell if it is a left or a right?
Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You can tell because of where the "pin/bar" is located. For example, the one in the picture has the bar at the top with the mounting spring, brackety thing going to the right, so it is a driver's side rear. Ed, if you send me a picture I'll be able to tell you which it is if you don't understand what I just tried to explain,

HTH,
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As an update, I have liaised with the seller (ebay-ITA), and he apoligised for the mistake. I was always going to replace all 4 handles, so I have bought rear (!) handles at a discount from him. The front ones I bought are copies (which is what I always expected), but he's sending me original NOS rears.

I just need to decide what colour to respray things: the body side 'stripe', these handles, and the window frames. I will use the rear handles as a reference; the front ones I have are metallic grey, but I'm unsure if it's true to the OE colour.

So I will ask you guys: are/were the handles originally the same metallic grey as the side stripe and door frames? Or are/were the handles actually black.

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
Hi Matt,
I must have got very lucky when I gave you that handle. I had four and I thought that they were all the same. I must have given you the correct one. My post was to help me confirm that.
Cheers,

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
If I remember right it would be super easy to make one that would work on all. have all 3 pins installed. Why alfa made 3 parts when they could have made one??

·
Registered
659 Posts
shiny I believe they were a charcoal colour from the factory. It's a common, but incorrect, belief that the trims, handles etc were all black when new. When someone makes this mistake and repaints everything black, it's pretty obvious that it's not quite right.

sly, I'm with you, though when you look at the way the latch mechanism was changed to fit in properly, I can appreciate that they figured it easier to change the handle rather then the mechanism. That said, it seems that the front handles with the centre pin are the ones that break more frequently.

ROCK ON
R~R

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, thanks, I know that 'black' is not the factory colour. I just don't know how dark the grey is. It's not something that can be described over the forums, so I'll just take a guess; or at least, I'm happy if I choose a less-than-perfect OE metallic grey.

I will be interested, though, to compare the colours between the 'copy' handles and 'OE' handles, both of which will be brand new, unused. Just waiting on the OE rear handles to arrive from ITA. I will very likely go with the colour of the OE handles, and respray the front ones if necessary, if they are quite different.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I got this at the local parts place and it seem to match. But that is looking at a old car.. but the inside of the handle looks the same color where it did not get any whether.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. What's the name of the metallic grey/gray paint? In case that particular shade is available here in Oz.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I think there was only one color.
so I just googled and it looks like it only comes in

Duplicolor High Performance Wheel Paint
Available Colors
#HWP100 White
# HWP101 Silver
# HWP102 Graphite
# HWP103 Clear
# HWP104 Flat Black
# HWP105 Bronze

So my guess is it is the HWP102 Graphite
I will have to see if I have any cans left.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great. Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool. That'll be an easy choice for me.Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
As mentioned above the front handles have a centre pin and no difference left and right but the rears change. There should be a marking on the metal part of the underside of the door handle that reads PD which stands for Posteriore Destra (Destra=right Posteriore=rear, so you have right hand rear). The left side should read PS, Posteriore Sinstra (sinistra means left so you have left hand rear).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a quick update. I received the proper rear handles from the Seller in ITA. These are OE/genuine handles. The quality of the 'copies' still seems as-good, so no issues there.

What I have now, is the genuine OE Alfa metallic grey colour to use as a reference. The copies are a slightly lighter shade, and the metallic flake is courser. I will have my spray painter match the paint to respray the side trims/rear spoiler, side mirror bases, and redo the front handles. I will also respray the door window frames, but might do that myself using a colour-matched spray can (cheaper, and I'll probably be more careful to ensure no overspray).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts