Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed the driver side door handle is getting softer and weaker plus the door is not exactly opening as well as it used to from the inside of the car. Feels like a spring or whatever tension was there before, is no longer there. Is there an adjustment I can make to it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Too late! Door quit opening from inside. It felt like something slipped off the internal part of the handle. Best remove the door card. Lemme know if theres something I should be careful with before opening this thing up!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Probably one tooth of the fork on the handle broke:( You can take it off and check. Larry at Alfa Parts exchange probably has one, or I can get you one when I get home Wed:)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Richard! Took off the entire set of panels just to familiarize myself with the setup. So yup, the fork broke. I'm easy on the handles because of things I've read. It sucks they made them out of pot metal. How many of these are there left in the world? HAHA! I'll wait til you get back. I always enjoy my drives up north.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Steve has also fixed them and posted a procedure in the maintenance section...don't through out any pieces.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just finished reading Steve's write up. I'll try to fix it tomorrow this way. I'll post my success if there's any.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Timely.

My driver side door handle occasionaly does the same, but from the outside.

Suggestions on what I should do?

My '76 Firebird driver side door is stuck closed, and climbing over the center console gets old.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you remove the top panels on your door you might see the lever that pushes down on the plastic part that is connected to the lever that actuates the unlocking action. The culprit is the plastic part. It breaks, bends, or wears. This is what's making my outer door handle have more travel than before. I gave the locks a few shots of oil, since the old grease has become a nasty gritty stucco. Ill have to find a replacement for these little plastic grommets or rebuild them so that the Handle lever doesn't have to travel to far down.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have 3 of the four interior door handles from my 1994 (shiny chrome) for sale if that helps.

Are they interchangeable with the 12V?

·
Premium Member
27,010 Posts
I have 3 of the four interior door handles from my 1994 (shiny chrome) for sale if that helps.

Are they interchangeable with the 12V?
NO.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok I made me one of those Alfisti Steve Handle Forks, and it looks awesome. I might have time later tonight to re-install all of the panels. It should work. Thanks!
Edit:Installed the door handle/arm rest panel and it worked like a charm! Door opens and the handle has a nice solid feel again.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, got it all back together. I also, did a bit of a mod, I tied a zip tie to the metal rod that opens the door when using the exterior door handle. Now it has little travel, and when I use the exterior handle the door pops open effortlessly. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
no but I'll draw a pic of what i did. So when you pull up on the exterior door handle, you will see that it makes a metal rod move downward. Its mainly vertical but it has horizontal 90deg angle and then another 90deg back to vertical, where it hooks on to the lever that unlocks the door, The short horizontal bend is what makes contact with the plastic spacer that separates the lever and rod from making metal to metal contact. So I added, 2 zip ties on the short vertical bend right in between the plastic and horizontal part of the rod. The zip ties are as tight as possible, stacked, with the tails cut all of the way to the locking collar. Anyway, plastic on plastic shouldn't be too bad, plus this fills the distance the rod has to travel, so it means less travel for the exterior door handle, which hopefully means less pulling on the handle.

·
Premium Member
15,884 Posts
Interesting idea. Will have to think about the load path. Whether the little outside handle arm stops against the inside of the latch, or ends up stopped by the zip ties, it would appear the final load will be the same where the little arm attaches to the outside handle. That's where the failure occurs.

Will study your sketch when it shows up.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure if the front and rear doors are the same, but on the rear doors the vertical rod presses against a square plastic bushing. This bushing can be rotated in 90 degree increments to adjust the amount of play (the sides of the bushing are four different heights). When I first looked at this bushing on my car I thought it was just worn, but closer examination shows it was made this way.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Been real busy at school stuff. Sorry for delaying. I'll load up a better pic of my not so pro drawing. My door has been opening great everyday! It pops open beautifully! No slushy feeling, like I get when I open the passenger door. Lol!

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Dalton...good to see you posting:) We were talking about you at Alfas Under the Mighty Oaks wondering if you dropped off the face of the earth:) Glad to hear you busy at school, and thanks for the door handle tip.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts